Getting Misty, Old Sears ActionFigure Wishbooks

Consider it Christmas in September. The Action Figure Archive has a few choice scans from the Sears Wishbooks of ’79 to ’87.

Oh, those Christmas surprises in robot disguises! How they tantalized the prepubescent consumer.

Though, the site begs the question: Did the Centurions ever end up stopping the evil Dr. Terror?

(Thanks to Dustin!)

Comments

1. AcilletaM says:

That is too cool!

2. Hooray4Zoidberg says:

Man I always wanted that thing when I was a kid. I should ebay one for completeness.

3. AcilletaM says:

I thought the GI*Joe aircraft carrier was pretty cool. At the time I couldn’t imagine owning a toy that big.

4. Detective Bunk says:

Man, I wanted that thing more than life itself. The pilot of the shuttle looked a little crappy, though.

5. exkon says:

Pure joy and nostaglia…

Nothing would have made me more happy to own one of these..but considering I was born in ’84 I probably missed out these classics.

Imagine the prices they fetch on collector sites now.

6. Keira says:

If only there had been a similarly elaborate mock-up for the film Haunted Honeymoon, I might have been able to play-act out the morbid fears of living entombment that have crippled me since seeing that alleged comedy as a young child.

I am similarly unable to work through the trauma of seeing Dom DeLuise in drag, although this has had less of a practical impact on my life.

7. garrett218 says:

I was lucky enough to have the GI Joe space ship when I was a kid. Even better was my friend had the aircraft carrier. Many an epic GI Joe play session was had with those two toys. Wish I had not let my parents convince me to give it to the neighbors when we moved.

8. I was all about the Ghostbusters Fire Station when I got it for Christmas. I went to the inflation calculator to get an idea of what my parents shelled out for that big, plastic piece of crap. It would cost about 75 bucks today! I had no idea. I’m gonna call them to say thanks.

9. masd says:

I remember getting those 3 department store catalogs that were each the size of a phone book from Sears, JC Penny and Kohl’s (i think…). And that specific space shuttle looked so awesome. There was just one little problem. The space shuttle Challenger exploded the previous year and my mother told me that it was disrespectful to buy things that people would sell to capitalize on highly publicized tragedies.

I don’t even think i knew what the Challenger was at the time.

10. AcidReign says:

…..That looks like the era when they shrunk GI Joe. To me, only the 12″ models will suffice. By 1979, Christmas for me was more about being home from college, and seeing how much free booze I could score at each relative’s house!