Target Needs To Fire Their Website Copywriter

It wasn’t but last week that we endured the presidential doll nomenclature crisis, and now this!

The offending page has since been fixed but up until at least 10:42 pm last night, Target offered an alternate version of the caucasian Oopsy Poopsy Puppy Barbie doll. This darker skinned Barbie also had a black, oh wait, we mean, “urban,” dog. We hear that in the store, they actually stock these dolls at opposite ends of the shelf, to avoid miscegenation.

Comments

1. AcilletaM says:

Amazon (which handles the Target website too) still has the original version. I think it should be Amazon needs to fire their copywriter.

2. bambino says:

Wait, so what’s ‘offending’ about this, the fact that the barbie doll was called ‘african-american’ or that the dog was a darker shade? Because the new page still has the dark dog but no mention of ‘african-american’.

3. Ben Popken says:

I’m mainly offended by the magnetic poop.

4. KevinQ says:

I’m usually pretty culturally sensitive, but I can’t figure this one out either, bambino. My best guess is that the title makes it look like the dog’s the African-American, and not the girl. That is, it should read “Barbie Forever Barbie Doll & Tanner – African American,” that dash letting us know that the set is the “African American” variant.

But still, I’m not sure I can get too excited about a missing dash. Is there something else I’m missing?

K

5. aka Cat says:

Possible offenses:

Barbie color-coordinates her dog to her skin color. (Maybe she dyes its fur, a bonus PETA offense!)

The supposed ‘African-American’ Barbie is paler than the average Caucasian with a tan.

6. aka Cat says:

Possible offenses:

Barbie color coordinates her pet to her skin color. (Bonus PETA offense: maybe she dyes the dog’s fur!)

‘African American’ Barbie is paler than the average Caucasian with a tan.

7. AcilletaM says:

Then Ben, you’re not getting enough iron in your diet. Hey-o!

8. AcilletaM says:

CatMoran, at least they didn’t do something like make it a Pit Bull.

9. lpranal says:

And how do we know that the “copywriter” isn’t just an overworked all-purpose graphic designer who just puts in the item data as it comes from the supplier? Just playing devil’s (and in this case, fellow designer’s) advocate here…

10. MSN has it as:

‘Barbie Doll with Tanner the Dog – Ethnic’

11. Chris says:

Miscegenation is the least of your worries, if you’re talking about forbidden marriage between boxed women and/or canines. This is that slippery slope Rick Santorum told me about.

12. GenXCub says:

To me it does almost look like a pit bull since the dog for the white-trash soccer mom barbie is in a different position. This “ethnic” one looks like it’s about to attack her baby daddy.