Now That’s A Knife

Over at the Quarter to Three forums, one of the posters, Brian Hook, had a rather disturbing experience with his W

sthof butcher knife.

I was chopping onions today, getting ready to make a nice beef rigatoni, and whilst gently slicing the onions…the knife separated. Like, the metal in the tang simply separated abruptly, and thankfully the blade went flying into the trash can next to me instead of into my foot (or one of my kids).

Upon closer inspection it looks like the steel itself was rusting internally and it finally just separated cleanly. That’s a helluva thing, since you really don’t expect a full tang knife to just snap like that, particularly by a reputable company such as Wusthof.

To Wusthof’s credit, they’re replacing it for free after I called them and explained what the hell happened. I have to guess this was just a manufacturing defect that slipped through the cracks.

What’s interesting about this story is that, in this case, the defect almost seems to be the very thing that proves the quality of the product: a knife with a serious factory defect still lasts over ten years. And, better yet, W

sthof is willing to replace it for free.

A quality company resolves a serious issue with one of their problems with courtesy and aplomb. Excellent! Of course, Hook might have thought differently if the detached W

sthof had detached and rocketed directly into the face of one of his on-looking children.

Broken Wusthof knife [Quarter to Three Forums]

Comments

1. Antediluvian says:

I’ve always been partial to Wüsthof knives.
    Solid, quality products.

2. madderhatter says:

Never used Wusthof – I’m a Henkel kinda guy. But I’ve never had this happen with any brand of knife. Also been wanting to try a ceramic, maybe one of the Kyocera Kyotops. Spendy ? You bet.

3. JAFO says:

That’s not a Butcher’s knife, it’s a Chef’s knife.

4. LeopardSeal says:

JAFO – Damn, I was going to say that. And yes, I agree with the above, nothing beats a high quality knife.

5. Drinker Nisti says:

Yikes. Glad Wustof is making good- I love my set…

6. Mr. Gunn says:

I’ve had one just like that for years, and recently was given a new one. They’re unbelievably awesome. The hollow-edge Santoku(Rachael ray knife for the n00bs) is nice too.

7. Clare says:

I like Global knives. They hold an edge really well (they stay so sharp it doesn’t even hurt if you nick yourself like I did the other night), they look cool, and you can use Bed Bath and Beyond’s 20% off coupons on them!

8. i sense exaggerration. if he was gently slicing these onions, why is the blade going flying anywhere? were they frozen?
    good response from the company, but i’m guessing the knife didn’t lead an easy and coddled life.

9. factotum says:

She must have washed it in the dishwasher. The heat from the drying cycle will cause hairline cracks in the handle allowing fluids to seep in and contact the tang. You must always handwash these types of knives.