Don’t Pay For Your Credit Report

This month marks the one year anniversary of Congress granting consumers the right to one free credit report per year. You can get yours at AnnualCreditReport.com. Anyone else, including and especially FreeCreditReport, run by none other than credit reporting company Experian, asking for money, is a ripoff.

Don’t Fall For FreeCreditReport.Com” [The Red Tape Chronicles]

(Thanks to AcilletaM!)

Comments

1. adamondi says:

Thanks for posting the address for the real free credit report site. It was time for me to get a new report, and I didn’t know the address. This post saved me a ton of time sifting through the BS free credit report sites out there.

I just wish that the FACT Act would have also outlawed the various BS free credit report sites, too.

2. exkon says:

Glad to know the real site finally. I’ve been looking but have been tempted from trying anything.

I heard somewhere that you were entitled to “3 free credit reports a year”

Thanks to consumerist again.

3. AcilletaM says:

You are entitled to 1 free credit report from each of the three credit bureaus per year though some states (Colorado, Georgia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey and Vermont) allow more.

So it’s 3 total, not 3 from each bureau.

4. Chongo says:

Just did this a few days ago actually.

you will still be asked to buy stuff, such as 8 bucks for a FICO score, or other somewhat usefull (yet super overpriced) services.

Luckily my Providian credit card has a free FICO score profile that is updated every month.

if you get 1 free report every 4 months, you can basically get them for free until the credit report companies buy off more politicians.

5. tyler forsythe says:

Has any one ever been able to get their online forms to work? I’ve tried this a few times and after answering the security questions correctly I’m always told that it can’t be done online and I need to mail them a completed form (that includes my SSN), a copy of a bill, blah blah. What’s the deal? Am I the only one? Any insight as to why?

6. WMeredith says:

Mine worked online. It’s a helpful thing to be able to see. I find it humorous that that they still withold your actual score unless you pay them.

7. Boo says:

In Canada you are entitled to a free credit report once a year though mail from either Equifax Canada and Trans Union of Canada. To get your score you have to pay though.

8. Spacemaggot says:

My mother in law read about this in the newspaper last year, so “we had to try it”. It was a nightmare. The most obvious links are the ones that will cost you (the free ones are buried, caveat browser), half the forms didn’t work, and the rest wanted us to prove who we are by typing in extremely old loan account numbers. We finally got two of the three reports (and of course she was spotless. ;) but it really made you want to spend that $9.95 or whatever.

Maybe it’s improved this year, but last year it definitely got my vote for following the letter but not the spirit of the law.

9. Demingite says:

I’ve heard more than one radio advertisement for “free credit report dot com.”

The fact that that website is advertised on a commercial radio station tells me that, ultimately, it ain’t free.

Of course, I, and almost any else who knows about it, will choose a straightforward, non-commercial free credit report site over a commercial one that is full of strings and is free only in certain senses.

The irony is that the money that they spent on radio ads touting FreeCreditReport.com informed me that that is a website I should NOT use. The tip-off — ironically, again — is the word “free.” And I’m sure I’m not the only person with this kind of reaction. (The reaction being some variation of “‘Free,’ my ass.” That tells me you are trying to snow me. Like, should we suppose you buy radio commercials as a charitable public service?)

10. Trackback says:

I feel like I see ads for the deceptively-named “Free Credit Report” more and more and more, as if the worse the economy gets, the more companies seek to prey on those who are struggling.