OfficeMax Loves Receipts. Hates You.

14 months back, Steve picked himself up a dandy HP 6210 all-in-one printer from OfficeMax. He was confident that it would break almost immediately; that’s what cheap printers do.

Still, he was skeptical when an OfficeMax employee tried to upsell him on their $30 Max Assurance extended warranty. But, somehow, he ended up being convinced, specifically by the promise that he didn’t need to hang on to a scrap of paper indefinitely (namely, his receipt) to make good on the warranty. His name and the printer’s serial number would be enough.

Flash forward 14 months. Guess what little tattered scrap of paper he needs?

Steve’s email after the jump:

ot sure if this really fits in with Consumerist’s mission, but I just got finished fighting with OfficeMax over their “Max Assurance” extended warranty scam. Extended warranty programs are getting pushed harder and harder on consumers, but some of them look to be a complete waste of money. Max Assurance is definitely one to stay away from.

In April 2005, I purchased an HP 6210 all-in-one printer from OfficeMax. At the time, I was assured by the sales person that I wouldn’t need to save my receipt, and simply registering my name and address would be enough. They, supposedly, would save the serial number of my purchase so they can identify me later. Okay, cool, I thought, since I’m bad at saving receipts and since printers tend to break often, it would be worth the $30 or $40 to get it replaced. I was told that it was a simple matter of bringing the printer in for a replacement, or if the printer no longer is on the market, they’ll give me equivalent value in store credit so I can buy something new. How can I go wrong, I thought. I buy the two year extended warranty and feel like a smart shopper.

Fast forward to today, September 2006. The flatbed scanner on the printer dies in a way that Google searches can’t resolve. So I call the store where I purchased it (OfficeMax #582 in San Francisco) and ask them what I should do. This is where everything goes sour.

I bet you can guess what happens next.

Suddenly I need a receipt, despite being told explicitly that I didn’t need one a year and a half ago. (I wouldn’t have purchased the plan had saving a receipt been required.) The first person I speak with asks me the name of the checkout person who rang me up a year and a half ago. I tell him that I don’t make a habit of writing down the name of every person at every store I shop at, and that all I want them to do is look up the transaction for me, or otherwise tell me what other piece of information I can give them to identify my purchase. I offer him my credit card number and the serial number of the printer, but he refuses to help. I’m told this is for “my security” (translation: we’re not going to help you and we’re not going to tell you why). He then gives me a toll-free number to call (866-805-9095), which he says will email me information about my Max Assurance plan. Somewhat relieved, I ask him that if I print out the email and bring it in, will that be good enough? He says no, that I still need the original receipt. When I ask him what the point of calling is, he puts me on hold for an indefinite period of time, and eventually the line goes dead.

I call back, and speak to someone who identifies himself as the store manager. I explain my story to him, and he becomes immediately belligerent. Granted, I clearly expressed my frustration from the beginning, but I didn’t use profanity or ask for anything unreasonable – I simply wanted my printer replaced per the terms I agreed to when purchasing it. I again offer my credit card number and the serial number of the printer, and ask for the phone number of any department at OfficeMax that can look up my transaction. He insists that it’s impossible to ever reference any past transaction, and that if I don’t have the original receipt, he won’t help me. I remind him again that the person who sold me the printer made it clear that I don’t need the receipt. He tells me that he doesn’t believe me – effectively accusing me of lying.

I also tell him what the last person said, about the toll free number that will email you information about the purchase, and ask him why that isn’t good enough to prove that the printer is mine and that I did indeed purchase it from OfficeMax. He tells me that he has no idea what I’m talking about, and there’s no way anyone at the phone number will email me anything about my purchase. His tale completely conflicts with what the last person at the same store tells me, though ultimately the result is the same.

Then the store manager offers me a “discount” on a new printer, and it becomes immediately apparent that I am, in fact, being scammed. He claims that this is to meet me “half way”. Yeah, what a compromise – I buy more from his store, I don’t get my printer fixed, my Max Assurance plan is worthless, and everyone makes more money from me. My $200 printer is about to cost me $400.

Finally, I call the toll free number given to me earlier. The story is now completely different. They don’t look up my transaction; instead they take my word that I am the owner of the printer and what the value of the printer is, and claim to email me a shipping label for the printer. However, they tell me that I can’t bring the printer in to the store to get it replaced, even though that’s what I was originally told!

Instead, I am to box it up, and wait 10-14 business days for processing, then wait another 10-14 days after that to receive the “gift coupon” that I can use at any OfficeMax store. 20-28 business days without a printer is about a month and a half of calendar days. Wow, how convenient. A month and a half without a printer for a small business is painful and pretty much impossible, so now I’m just going to buy a new one (though definitely not from OfficeMax). Which is exactly what I would have done without the $30 extended warranty, except now I’m out $30 and an hour of wasted time on the phone, arguing with the rude and unhelpful. I’m also not told what will happen to my printer if they can’t match up the serial number. Am I notified? Do they send it back to me? Do they throw it away?

And that’s assuming I ever receive this “shipping label”, which still has yet to appear in either my Inbox or my spam folder.

I guess the moral is save your receipt? But that’s not really the point, is it. Someone at the company tells me one thing (“oh no problem, you don’t need a receipt” and “if it breaks, bring it in! we’ll replace it! no problem!”) when I’m deciding whether or not to give them my money, yet does something completely different when the time comes to follow through. And worse, when I remind them of what they promised, I’m either lying or it’s the fault of some rogue employee whose name I’m expected to remember a year and a half later. No one tries to take responsibility for the situation, except by offering me the “privilege” of spending more money with them. Suddenly the corporation becomes a maze of individuals and departments for me to navigate, rather than a single entity structured to service their customers. Why is the consumer expected to learn the internal functioning of a giant corporation just to get a printer fixed, or otherwise get accused of lying? The whole thing is completely insane.

Comments

1. aka Cat says:

Whenever I buy something that has a manual, I staple the receipt inside the front cover. viola. As long as I can find the manual (a much larger target, frequently with a picture of the product on the cover) I can find the receipt.

Moral of the story: Never trust the salesperson (and always save your receipt.)

2. missdona says:

I do the receipt-with-the-manual thing. I also keep the manuals in poly-sleeves in a binder in my file cabinet.

This year, I started scanning all receipts that have something under warranty.

Yep, sales people suck and that’s why we have to save receipts.

3. DeeJayQueue says:

OMax is on the long list of companies I’ve worked for over the years. They go through people pretty often, and they tend to change the rules on things just about as often. It may indeed have been true that back when you bought your printer you wouldn’t have needed a receipt to bring it back. They probably changed that rule sometime between then and now. Very dumb decision indeed. I also believe that they did change the policy about bringing things into the store, because it’s a pain to have to take a bunch of broken printers, call the manufacturer, hope for an approved RTV and then pay to have it shipped back, while losing an item out of inventory that isn’t accounted for in the sales. Also, corporate doesn’t tell the store managers anything, and what they do get is often second-hand and conflicting, so 7 times out of 10 they just make the rules up as they go.

I’m not making excuses for them, far from it. I’m pointint out that these are the reasons why they act stupid.

Plus, unless you’re running a business out of a manhattan studio or a broomcloset, get seperate machines for fax, printer, scanner and copier. You’ll lay out a little more dosh at first, but you won’t have to return/rebuy all of it if/when one thing breaks.

4. winnabago says:

Never trust the salesperson

Yep. Or to put it another way, the salesperson doesn’t speak for the greater company, ever. Chances are, unless it’s on a company letterhead, a large sign in the window, or similar, the chances of it being true are quite slim.

Remember the recent story about Circuit City offering for hire DVD backup services? It turned out to be a rogue employee, who, I believe, was fired for it.

5. Jess A. says:

I think Homer Simpson said it best when he said, “Extended warranty! How can I lose?”

(Full disclosure: I, too, have purchased an extended warranty, only to discover that it was totally useless to me. Oh well.)

6. viriiman says:

I worked for a big box “blue shirt” retailer in the repair sections. MANY times we would have customers come over to us missing reciepts, serial numbers missing from the product, and damages not covered under warranty. Most of the time, the cust would tell us that they were told by the sales person that they didn’t need the reciept/anything wrong was covered/why do you need the serial number, etc. Most of the time I believed the customer. Why? Becuase I know how much people are PUSHED by these companies to sell their “extended warranties”. Most of the time pushed hard enough to lie about anything and everything that’s covered. I can remember how sales people in computers would tell people that their “extended warranty” would cover, “the fan belts” and “the flux capacitor”. It made me sick.

7. Fountain says:

This can be a problem with sales reps who get bonuses or commissions based on sales. There will always be the temptation to tell the customer what they want to hear in order to make the sale.

Especially if you know you won’t be working there for much longer.

I used to sell cars and I would listen to sales guys say anything to put the customer’s mind at ease. A very popular lie was to say the car had a passive theft system that would stop the car within 15 yards if someone managed to start the car without a key. This, of course, was not true but it does give one a warm feeling just thinking about it.

Ultimately I only sold cars for a month and a half. I resigned after I started noticing most everyone there had some sort of facial tic.

8. AcilletaM says:

Never trust the salesperson

Or a big butt and a smile…anyways I recommend always saving the receipts. It not only helps in situations like this but also if you ever have to deal with an insurance agent while making a claim against your homeowner’s/renter’s insurance. I’d also say that stapling them to manuals is an effective way to track receipts but it’s not good if you need them to deal with an insurance agent after a fire.

9. Ben Popken says:

Consumer Fan writes:

“I’m an ex OfficeMax employee and I’d like to comment on this situation. This guy was either misinformed or didn’t listen to what the cashier said, I’m banking on scenario number two. If you register your Max Assurance plan online the warranty company will keep a virtual copy of your reciept for the life of the warranty. I know this because it was part of our training and we said it about 1,000 times a day. If you think about it how would anybody know anything about you having a warranty otherwise. The store doesn’t actually handle warranties, it’s an outside company. He should have been told to call that 1800 number off the bat. My bet is if he pressed the issue with the warranty company they would have just sent him the gift card and he would have been about his business. It might have taken a few days but he would have gotten it. I understand his frustration but think about this, for $30 he’s going to get a new product for less than what he paid for his original, and it will likely be better than what he bought. It’s not OfficeMax’s fault it broke, these things break all the time. People are so impatient these days. I hope this helps. “

10. Ookseer says:

Forget the manual (who keeps/can find those things anyway?) If I buy something breadbox sized or bigger I just tape the receipt to the bottom of the thing.

I learned this from Good Guys who told me I they would only replace my receiver if I had it in for repairs 4 or more times (I had brought it in 6 times, but only had receipts for 2.) However they did remember that I had bought an extended warranty without anything more than my name and its serial number.

Good Guys wasn’t great, but they’re a damn sight better than CompUSA.

11. My bet is if he pressed the issue with the warranty company they would have just sent him the gift card and he would have been about his business.

According to the e-mail he did call the 1800 number and is still waiting to get the shipping label. There’s no reason for him to think he can get a gift card out of them and he shouldn’t have to fight for it if that’s what is supposed to happen.

People are so impatient these days.

How long is his company supposed to go without a printer?

12. If you register your Max Assurance plan online the warranty company will keep a virtual copy of your reciept for the life of the warranty.,

Why does the customer have to do this? Isn’t paying $30 for the warranty “registering?” This seems deceptive and unfair. If Officemax wasn’t trying to bilk people here, they would give a little folder with the receipt and instructions on how to use the warranty, or god forbid, not require the customer to use the internet to register a warranty paid for in a physical store!! Absolutely ridiculous.

13. SecureLocation says:

Lesson #1: Replacement warrantees are for suckers
    Lesson #2: Never fall for the “What was the name of the person you spoke to” bullshit. It’s a way to get rid of you but you shouldn’t have to deal with it.
    Lesson #3: Printers are disposable and unless you have a lot of time on your hands, this whole thing wasn’t worth it.
    Lesson #4: OfficeMax blows.

14. Plasmafire says:

Office Depot does the exact same thing.

15. Treved says:

I don’t know about stapling receipts into manuals or even taping them to the item (what if it rips?).

I just scan them onto my computer, and then email them to my gmail with tags so I can find it later. I file the receipt away in case they need the original, but I’ve got backup in case of fire or whatever. Takes 2 seconds.

16. It’s not about OfficeMax, but I used to do sales for Macys (Yeah, like the Macys Thanksgiving parade in New York).

I worked in the electronics department and we had a $30 warrantee (sp?) that lasted a year and replaced whatever it was if you had your receipt with it.

They wanted me to push it and I was later fired for not selling a warrentee (sp?) for a $20 walkman.

…….

I’ll let that sink in for a moment.. $30 cost for a $20 item……

17. bitplayer says:

Officemax employees usually make a point to give the customer a little booklet with all the information about Max Assurance to people who buy it, and often people who don’t. They are usually stacked up at a register. The people who are just dumping on the store and the employees probably never worked retail before, the customer is NOT always right. Sometimes they hear what they want to hear.

18. TedSez says:

I purchased a chair from OfficeMax that broke down completely within three months. I called the manufacturer, which said they would do something about it if I sent them the receipt — which, of course, I couldn’t find. I called the store where I had bought the chair and asked them if they could print out a copy of the receipt from their computers. I was told, astonishingly, that the information would no longer be in the computers. They would have to ask someone at a regional office for it. I asked the person on the line to do that, and she seemed sincerely willing to do it. But every time I called after that, she said they hadn’t gotten back to her. Eventually I gave up and asked my credit card company to get the receipt… which they’re still trying to do.

My question is, what’s the point of storing documents on computer if you can never find them again?

19. juri squared says:

SecureLocation: I don’t think extended warranties are necessarily for suckers. For example, I use my laptop for hours per day, and I am pretty hard on the poor thing. I purchased an extended warranty/loaner program from Fry’s for it almost two years ago. Now I am three months away from the warranty expiring, and I am currently typing this on a loaner while they ship my laptop back for repairs. This will take 6-8 weeks, and it would be catastrophic if not for the loaner program – not to mention the fact that the $159 I paid for it up front is far less than what the repairs would cost.

This is the second loaner I’ve gotten on this warranty, and both times the loaner has been a nicer model than my laptop. I have no complaints.

My advice? Buy extended warranties for things you know you’ll be hard on, like laptops, PDAs, mp3 players, and the like. Skip it for things that aren’t going to get bumped around much, like televisions. Weigh your odds of breaking the item against the cost of repair and the warranty. I’ve never regretted it.

And for the love of all things holy, FILE YOUR WARRANTY INFO AND RECIEPTS.

20. Many moons ago (and, it should be noted, prior to the KMart purchase), I worked at Sears selling various products, including computers, telephones, TV’s, and all manner of appliances. We offered a Product Protection Plan (PPP). This plan cost 10% of the purchase price of the product and lasted for 2 years. If, at any point, and for any reason in those 2 years, the product ceased to function optimally, we would replace the product with an identical product, or if not available, we would give them the original purchase price toward the purchase of a replacement.

I was under specific instructions from my superiors to ALWAYS replace, without hassle, any product that was returned under this type of warranty, regardless of the condition of the product. There were many time where it was clear that a product had been abused (cracked plastic on a phone or camera), but we would replace it without any fuss or muss on the customer’s part. The only requirement was that the customer retain their receipt, because the POS system only held transaction data back about 5 months.

A bit of a tangent, but I wanted to illustrate the point that not all extended warranties are a bad deal. I know of many instances where functioning products were returned simply because the owner wanted to upgrade (900 mHz phone to a 2.4 GhZ phone, as an example). I don’t know if Sears still offers this, but I always bought it on my eligible products, and was never sorry.

21. Puck says:

I’ve had the same experience up to being called a liar (“the person who sold me the printer made it clear that I don’t need the receipt. He tells me that he doesn’t believe me”).

right after that i began a file-box for all electronic purchases and their receipts, PLUS I record the name and position of the person who gave me the information.

Since then, I made a purchase at Circuit City of a hard drive, bought the insurance (for a year), and the drive crapped-out in 5 months.

When I tried to replace it, I was told that “no associate by that name” had EVER worked at that store (His name was Robin G., so I doubt that), but that it could be replaced for half price of the new item. This despite the fact of all the paperwork.

Koboyasi Maru (forgive me if I mispelled)

22. bitplayer says:

Sears used to have the best warranty on stuff. It helped that they actually had real repairmen on site for their products. My mother gets warranties on all her appliances, which she only buys from sears. She’s replaced like 4 fridges because of manufacturer defects adn they come out and service her washer and dryer at least once a year. Since dryers can get clogged and catch fire if they aren’t serviced this is a pretty good idea in my opinion. As for a previous comment about reciepts being in the system. Would you really want all your credit card info floating around Office Max a year or two after your purchase, more importantly do you actually want employees of the store, many of whome makek $12 an hour or lesss to have access to the information. Keeping a reciept in order to get service is a pretty low barrier for service IMO.

23. MrsCSJestis says:

How about a Max Assurance plan that they actuallly mailed the gift card (according to their rep) and it never made it to us, but they won’t re-issue because apparently it made it to someone and they used it. So since it has been used they won’t re-issue it. The mailed a gift card worth over $250 regular mail with no signature required. Anyone have any suggestions?

24. EternalSunshine says:

I agree with Ben Popken..as a former Officemax employee, I ran into disgruntled buyers all the time. You should have been given the number right off the bat…or tried looking it up your self, It’s what I like to call “problem solving.” And also in regards to this…
    “I offer him my credit card number and the serial number of the printer, but he refuses to help. I’m told this is for “my security” (translation: we’re not going to help you and we’re not going to tell you why”
    Believe it or not, that really is for your security.He’s not trying to be a jerk, cashiers (which is probably who you spoke to) don’t have access to those types of databases so there is only a limited number of things they can do for you..looking up your receipt using your personal info NOT being one of them. Anyways,I don’t know about you but I’m not going to read some stranger my credit card number..can you say FRAUD!

25. Anonymous says:

Cancellation: You may cancel this Contract at any time by surrendering it or providing written notice to the retailer at the address where You purchased this Contract You may also cancel this Contract by surrendering it or providding written notice to N.E.W. at the address listed above. This Contract may be canceled by You for any reason. In the event You cancel this Contract within thirty (30) days of receipt of this Contract. You shall receive a full refund of any payments made by You under this Contract. In the event You cancel this Contract after thirty (30) days of receipt of this Contract, You shall receive a pro rata refund of any amount paid based upon elapsed time less an addministrative fee not to exceed ten percent (10%) of the price of this Contract or twenty-five dollars ($25), whichever is less, and less any claims that have been paid or repairs that have been made. We or N.E.W. may not cancel this Contract except for fraud, material misrepresentation or non-payment byYou; or if required to do so by any regulatory authority. If We or N.E.W. cancels this Contract, You shall receive a refund of one hundred percent (100%) of the pro rata unearned portion of the Contract price less any claims which have been paid. We or N.E.W. may not cancel this Contract without providing You with written notice at least thirty (30) days prior to the effective date of cancellation. Such notice shall include the effective date of cancellation and the reason for cancellation. In Alabama, Arkansas, Hawaii, Maryland, Minneesota, Missouri, Nevada, New York, South Carolina, Washington and Wyoming:

If You cancel Your Contract within thirty (30) days of receipt of Your Contract and do not receive a refund or credit within thirty (30) days of receipt of the returned service contract, a ten percent (10%) penalty per month shall be applied to the refund.

Insurance: This is not a contract of insurance. Obligations of the Obligor under this Contract are insured under a service contract reimbursement insurance policy issued by Virginia Surety Company, Inc. In AL, AR, AK, AZ, CT, GA, IL, KY, MO, MT, NH, NC, NY, OH, lX, UT, WA, WI, and WY only: If You have filed a claim in writing under this Contract and the Obligor fails to payor provide service within sixty (60) days of filing such a claim, or if You are otherwise dissattisfied, please submit Your claim in writing and a copy of this Contract and the sales receipt for the Product to Virginia Surety Company, Inc., 175 West Jackson Blvd., Chicago, Illinois 60604, Attention: Service Contract Claims, 1-800-209-6206.

26. Heidi N. Clinefelter says:

I’m surprised they think you need your receipt. If you registered (presuming you did it by the phone number, as I assume the website was broken at that time), you ought to be in the database. I have no idea why they didn’t look you up.

As to why they couldn’t just search the database, there are multiple reasons:
    1) 90%-98% of customers pay with credit cards. It’d take too long to find a receipt from that far back.
    2) We don’t have your entire card number on file, only the last four digits. The rest of the card is encrypted. I’m unsure of the odds of someone having the same last 4 credit card digits of someone else, but I’m guessing that could be a factor as well.
    3) We only have a “log” of the last 30 days of receipts. After that, the receipts are no longer on hand at the store. I’m not sure if they’re kept anywhere else, though I doubt they are.

If you ever do decide to shop at OfficeMax again, I’d suggest you talk to customer service (1-800-OfficeMax), but I’m honestly not sure how well you’d fair there.

Otherwise, my recommendation would be to make a regular paper copy of your receipt (as receipt paper is notorious for fading the ink after x amount of time), and taping the regular paper copy to whatever item you got a MaxAssurance on. Then, at worse, you can ask to switch your old printer out for a new one and pay the difference between the two (if there is a difference). Likely, they’ll give you store credit if there’s anything left that they owe you, but that’s pretty much what the MaxAssurance card would’ve been.

I think the experience for OfficeMax does all depend on what store you go to. I can definitely attest to sales promoting an item we don’t have in store, and it irks the sales associates as much as it does the customer. We don’t choose to make the sale, Corporate does. Sometimes, we’ll put the tags for items up, but keep them with their back facing outwards, in hopes customers won’t know it’s on sale (and so if we get the item in stock, we can just flip around the sale sign). I’m not sure how well that’s working out, as we’ve only done it for the last few weeks.

The whole organization thing *does* suck. From what I’ve read of reviews (here and at rip-off report), no one at any point in the chain of command knows what’s going to be on a truck. No one knows what the next truck will hold, or when an item will be delivered via truck.

We’re constantly being pushed to get a Max, so I would *definitely* ask multiple sales people questions and read the brochure before you get one. I tell customers what I know of how the Max will work out, but I do know a coworker who goes for the fast sell, so I definitely recommend reading the MaxAssurance brochure. There’s nothing that says you can’t buy it in the moment, examine the brochure when you get home and then decide to return it.

If you find out you were lied to on the Max after you purchased it, if you still have your receipt, the manager ought to be able to find out who got credit for selling it to you. I’m not sure if the SAP number they’d need would show up on the receipt, but it definitely shows up when scanning the receipt for a return.

Also: We’re a rather small-staffed operation. Chances are, if you recall what the person looks like, there’s a good chance someone in the store will know that employee by name. And I definitely agree that the training needs to improve. I know next to nothing about what’s on the floor, and if a customer asks me questions about a printer, I’m basically stuck reading off the little card to them.

27. Jeremy Acton says:

Why would anyone not hang on to a receipt? This would especially be the case if you expect something to break. I am a former employee and I know that the Max Assurance has its shortfalls, but you must register it over the phone or on the website to reduce the need to have a receipt. You have to know that it is not policy for any retailer to accept a return or exchange for an item without proof of purchase. There are too many places to buy the same item and there are too many people pulling scams and that is the main reason places like office max require a receipt.

28. Anonymous says:

I just think it’s funny how stupid people can be. I’m talking about the people who have left comments on here about how the Replacement Plan is a scam. It’s not an extended warranty. It’s apparent most of you have never read your manufacturer’s LIMITED warranty, which 90% of the time covers only manufacturer’s defects. Having worked for the company, and having used the MaxAssurance Replacement Guarantee, I’ve walked away with a lot from this. My camera broke – I got a new camera. Something happened to my laptop – they overnighted me a box with an overnight label and said they’d have my laptop back in 7 days. I got it back in 5. Don’t be a moron, which apparently is hard to do these days. When I would sell these, people would tell me they don’t buy extended warranties to which I would have to explain to them how it’s not and then actually go over what their warranty is for their product. If someone had an issue with the MA number or email, I would take care of them in the store, provided they had a receipt or I remembered them.

The way it’s supposed to work is you buy the plan and product from the store. You go home, register online. Something happens after your manufacturer’s warranty and they will send you a shipping label to have you send the product in and they send you a gift card for what you paid plus tax. Most of the time they don’t want it back. You have to figure it’s costing them already so why pay for all of this additional shipping? If you were still in your warranty, and of course I’m sure what happened is covered by your warranty but you bought the plan, I would simply do a return of everything and put it on a gift card. I keep my receipt taped under my chairs if I bought a chair and the replacement plan, under my printer if I bought a printer and a replacement plan or in my filing cabinet under a folder titled “Insurance”. Above all you are to register it online but worst case is that you have your receipt and go to the store which will take care of you.

God people are stupid and expect everyone else to be responsible for them these days. I’m not responsible for your stupidity. You burn yourself because you bought a hot cup of coffee from McDonald’s and decide to sue? That’s your own fault. Don’t expect me to be liable for your stupid actions.

29. Anonymous says:

I too purchased a MaxAssurance plan from Offiice Max when I bought my Palm TX in 2006. I too use this Palm for business. The Palm TX died in early January. I made my phone call to MaxAssurance and was promised a gift card and all I need to do is pack the Palm up with ALL ORIGINAL packing, receipt and a note explaining the problem(s) (lucky I saved everything) I did get my shipping label via email the next day and I sent it off (to some sort of a liquidation center – it’ll probably end up on eBay) I recently called to find out what the status was. The MaxAssurrance operator could tell me nothing. I was told that if I did not hear anything by 2.24.09, then I am supposed to call them back. It’s going on 30 days now. Am I supposed to Purchase another Palm TX and then what am I supposed to do with the gift card if I ever receive it?
    (MaxAssurace would not even acknoweldge the receipt of my Palm TX when I called)
    My opinion is this plan is a rip-off. I will not fall for this crap again. And MarvelaGaloot must be someone who has never had the responsibility of running a business with an item he has to depend on. And maybe because he works for Office Max, he gets privileges that the rest of us don’t have access to.