What Is Up With These Horny Comcast Techs?

Remember that gal who had Comcast install her cable and then the tech proceeded to call her over and over again, trying to get a date? Reader Andrew reports that the tech got turned in by another Comcast tech. The first lovelorn tech left a message on her cellphone saying that he was wrong and would stop calling. However, the second Comcast tech may have just been trying to make elbow room . He too hit on our consumer and asked her out.

All told, the number of times the first Comcast tech called her? Thirty-two.

Comcast, please, have a heart and throw down the cash for some speed-dating sessions for these guys or something!

Comments

1. adamondi says:

What kind of horrendous loser calls a girl 30+ times without getting the picture that she wants nothing to do with you? For that matter, who calls a girl more than about 5 times (without getting any positive response) without getting the picture? Dude’s got major boundary issues.

2. homerjay says:

This chick must be smoke-tacular for both of these guys to risk their jobs…. Maybe she’s leading them on!

3. TedSez says:

Did you ever see the movie “Lovesick,” in which every man who meets Elizabeth McGovern instantly falls for her? (Including her psychiatrist, played by Dudley Moore — hence the ’80s-style inappropriate shenanigans.)

Well, this woman must have the same kind of mojo…. The poor techies just can’t help themselves.

4. Amys Robot says:

Wow, this is just another reason why all baby girls should be presented with a copy of “The Gift of Fear” by Gavin de Becker as soon as they arrive in the delivery room.

So what’s the resolution here? Did Tech #1 get fired? Did the girl ever actually complain to anyone or tell the tech to stop calling her?

adamondi: Not that I know anything about women, but I think if you call a girl more than twice you are pushing it. Even the second time is probably pushing it. Five times is approaching Comcast territory.

5. B says:

All I want to know is does the tech look like Captain Kangaroo?

6. homerjay says:

Maybe this girl has the kavorka!! Kavorka!!!!

7. Hooray4Zoidberg says:

It’s Comstalkular!

8. homerjay says:

I think this girls has the Kavorka! KAVORKA!!

9. homerjay says:

We should be able to delete our own posts when repeats happen.

10. DeeJayQueue says:

we should also be able to add our own icons.

11. etinterrapax says:

Amys Robot, I think you’re right. Twice. If she’s busy once, fine; a woman can be busy. If she’s busy twice, it’s one of two things: she’s too busy for a relationship, period, or she’s too busy for a relationship with you. And if she’s declining the date for any reason other than that she’s busy on either of those calls, that’s the clue. She doesn’t want to see you; cease and desist. Have a little dignity. Women like dignity.

12. North of 49 says:

good god. I’d have threatened comcast with a harrassment complaint or lawsuit after the 5th call by the tech. Especially when not getting “FRAG OFF” as a clue.

13. snazz says:

how about you not post the same thing twice, a minute apart? that would avoid the need to be able to delete posts.

14. bambino says:

Please, no icons. Then it’s one step away from being just another NSFW kiddie post page.

15. Ben Popken says:

Patience on the post deletion and icons. Soon, my pretties, soon.

16. I don’t mean to suggest the kind of male cheauvinistic tripe that this girl “dances like she wants it, etc.”

However, now that 2 techs from Comcast have risked their jobs over this girl, the only constant in the equation is the girl…So, either the Comcast techs in her area are hornballs…or she is doing something to attract this unwanted attention. Occam’s Razor would suggest the latter.

17. crayon, the problem with Occam’s Razor–“the simplest answer is usually the correct one”–is that chauvinism is simple.

I figured most folks would know by now not to start a statement with “I’m not a chauvinist, but…”

18. MosH8ed says:

…or maybe they’re both just pathetic losers who work for the cable company and are forced to ride together all day in the same van and talk about their lack of “game” with each other. Because to me it sounds like they’re both completely clueless on how to approach a woman so they do what any loser does when confronted with a seemingly available woman while on the work site… they obsess over her, make an ass out of themselves, and go home all alone to watch some “x-rated” movie to “research” … because after all, guys like that live for a chance at a Big Lebowski styled “log jamming” scenario. Unfortunately, I’ve actually seen guys act this way, it’s very sad. So please, don’t blame the female, blame society.

Thank you.

19. My friend stayed in a separate room when each of the technicians worked. They pursued her, end of story.

Fair points Andrew…but why is that the end of the story?

I have no intention of defending these two, but there certainly seems to be more to the story than we are being told, and one can hardly pass judgement with the little information we have. Believe me, I have no special place in my heart for Comcast or guys like you described.

Why hasn’t Comcast management been contacted? What was their response? The police?

Thanks for calling me a chauvinist.

20. What’s with all of the male bashing? I suspect that this may indeed be a situation where we’re not getting the full details of the story. I mean, come on, thirty plus times? There are guys who are dense, and then some– but here’s what doesn’t make sense to me:

Consumerist made it very clear that if the calls continued (at the time of reference, there obviously weren’t thirty+ calls) that the police should get involved. If the girl is so distressed, then why haven’t the police gotten involved? What keeps these guys calling back? Her lovely voicemail?

There are either two explanations, either the girl isn’t being forceful enough in her explanation and is inadvertently misleading them, or, these guys genuinely think they have a chance. I just want to know what details are missing here.

Andrew W: Since you seem to be such a close friend of hers, why don’t you talk to these guys? Why not just give the number to Ben Popken and let him clear it up– if anyone is man enough to handle those comcast creeps, it’s Ben Popken, ubermensch extraordinaire… ;)

21. bambino says:

I second that motion.

22. I’d love to talk to the Comcast guys face to face, trust me. Unfortunately, they, and my friend, are many states away.

She chose not to call the police or get others involved for a number of reasons, and I respect her decision. She had the stress of moving to a new city and starting a new job; it’s understandable that she would prefer to ignore this guy as best she could instead of sitting down with police. If the Comcast guy had been spotted in her neighborhood, say, then things would be different.

I do want to thank Ben. He put me and my friend in touch with proper folks at Comcast. Comcast guy #2, in scolding his colleague, has at this point made it unnecessary for her to take things further with Corporate.

@something_amazing: You haven’t met guys that just, you know, can’t take a hint? Nothing’s missing from the story, somewhat sorry to say. I wish there weren’t creeps like that guy out there.

23. Why is it so hard to believe that two jerks happen to work for the same company?