Dell Helps You To Uninstall, For A Price

Paul sent us this cute little screenshot of the extra options you have available when buying a new PC from Dell. The small amounts of money don’t really help offset the utter uselessness of the services. “Hide Microsoft Express”… apparently, a buck won’t get it uninstalled. You have to pay two for that.

Comments

1. homerjay says:

Why is there no checkbox for “Fire Extinguisher?”

2. Kat says:

Haha, too funny. Get the PC Decrapifier instead.

3. Kornkob says:

I don’t see the problem here. Basically Dell is willing to do some additional service for those people who don’t want to learn how to do these things once the machine arrives. Let’s face it most services people pay for are things they COULD do themselves but they chose to pay someone else to do it instead.

*shrug* Seems to me this isn’t a bad thing at all.

4. bambino says:

It’s just funny due to the petty amounts they’re charging.

5. Kornkob says:

It’s about what it’s worth though— takes a minute to do and doesn’t require any specialized skill, really.

Now if they were charging $30 for the service that would be just plain stupid.

6. DeeJayQueue says:

7. LTS! says:

At least Dell doesn’t charge to remove their own wallpaper. So they’ll happily remove their advertising from your screen for free. It’s the Microsoft works that costs $1. I suppose this is the Dell Dollar Value Menu. I’d rather have a medium frosty.

8. TPA says:

“Increase productivity?” Oh, c’mon now, no one ever plays Solitaire or Pinball at work, right?

9. “oh you mean like how they charge $100+ for an HDMI cable at circuit city or best buy but you can find one for $9.99 online?”

No one is forcing people to buy it at $100 (though I find it hard to believe that they have a 1,000% markup).

Sorry if you didn’t mean that you do buy the overpriced items. But I know allot of people who say, “Boy, these prices are really high”. If you don’t like the prices, go someplace else. It’s how the free market works.

10. SuperJdynamite says:

I’m guessing that Dell doesn’t “remove” anything in this case. I would imagine that when building a machine they write a prepared image directly to the hard drive. They add a few more images to the set of possible images for a particular piece of hardware to accommodate the “remove” requests and charge a few bucks for it. Multiply this few bucks out by the hundreds of thousands of machines they’ll sell in this configuration and you can already hear the cha-ching noise.

11. SuperJdynamite says:

“I’m sick of people complaining about high prices and so on. If you don’t like the price and can get it cheaper, do it. Gheez.”

I’m sick of people complaining about people complaining about high prices!

12. MOR says:

The very idea that users should have to pay in order to NOT have something on their machine is absurd!

It would be one thing if it was as simple as removing an app on OS X (drag it to the trash) but unfortunately Dell is feeding off of the unnecessary complexity of Windows.

Pretty soon they will be making you pay not to have spyware on the machine. Oh wait, that’s what this is.

What’s next, paying to watch TV commercial free?…

13. I’m sick of people complaining about high prices and so on.

If you’re tired of people complaining about being ripped off I think you’re at the wrong site.

14. aka Cat says:

And I’m sick of seeing my parents and other less-than-tech-savvy or eBay-phobic relatives pay 10x than they should have to.

15. Anonymous says:

“What’s next, paying to watch TV commercial free?…”

To a limited extent people already do this with Satellite Radio. It’s all about what people place value on. People will pay for whatever they see value in and just because you wouldn’t buy it doesn’t make it bad, just means it’s not for you.