Crunch Fitness, I Wish I Could Quit You

Crunch Fitness has some odd protocol for canceling your membership.

According to Not Star Jones over at The Unemployment Cafe, he thought he’d quit Crunch like Heath Ledger over two months ago. He called; he canceled; he was told he’d be charged a $25 cancelation fee; he accepted.

But that didn’t stop Crunch from continuing to withdraw money from his account. Why? Because, apparently, while they are perfectly capable of withdrawing membership fees from his bank account automatically, they require him to walk down with a $25 check and give it to a Crunch Fitness representative in person.

Not Star Jones seems puzzled by this. Of course, we’re not: walking down and handing them a $25 check is one more opportunity for them to try to pressure you into changing your mind, and guarantees they can squeeze a few more months payments out of you. Business as usual in sleazeland.

Crunch Fitness — Why can’t you just accept that IT’S OVER? [Unemployment Cafe]

Comments

1. Hawkins says:

This has been said before, but perhaps it’s worth repeating: never ever enter into the kind of auto-pay arrangement where you allow others to withdraw money from your bank account.

You are giving banditti thge legal right to simply vacuum up your cash as they see fit, and then argue with you later about maybe getting it back.

2. Judes says:

Not to quibble, but Not Star Jones is a chick. And a foxy one at that.

3. LintMan says:

My wife signed us up with LA Fitness using the auto-pay (they give you some discount or something if you use it). Later, after having to jump through assorted ridiculous hoops to cancel, two months after it was all (supposedly) settled, LA Fitness withdrew another payment from our account. I don’t know if it was a way to spite exiting memers, an honest SNAFU on their part, an intentional scam, or what.

Rather than fight with LA Fitness over it, I went to the bank and told them that I had previously completed the steps to cancel my LA Fitness membership and that this was an unauthorized withdrawal. I filled out some paperwork stating that and denying them further access to my account, and the bank immediately credited me the money they had taken.

I had expected LA Fitness to contact me and demand I pay the bogus charge (I certainly wasn’t going to waste my time trying to chasing after them if I didn’t need to), but I never heard from them again.

Morals of the story:
    - I you have some sort of auto-withdrawal setup you expect to be stopped, also go to your bank and stop it yourself rather than rely on them.
    - Deal with the bank first if they’re still screwing around with you after you’ve already cancelled with them.

4. Kat says:

My friend was part of a local-only gym that said she didn’t cancel her 30-day trial membership in time, and so withdrew $900 (a full year’s membership price) from her account, which made her badly overdrawn. I agree – never ever let those kinds of places automatically withdraw from your account.

5. FriarJohn says:

Credit card companies do the same thing when you want to close the account. You can’t do it online – you have to call them so they have one more opportunity to pester you with incentives so you’ll change your mind.

6. IamnotStarJones says:

Crunch Fitness did refund me the money they stole. Thanks for the words of advice/commentary. I’m not joining another gym.