The Adventures of Pepsiman

It’s Labor Day weekend. That means today’s a half-day for me and Ben. It also means that, depending how drunk we get, there may very well not be any posts on Monday. It also means that the posts we do put up today are going to be slacker heaven.

Like this one! But it’s worth it. After Terminator 2 came out in the mid-90′s, Pepsi Japan wanted to incorporate the liquid metal CGI technology into their commercials. The amazing, surrealist Pepsiman character is the result. Watch his greatest adventures, which always follow this formula:

1) A lone person wants a Pepsi.
2) Pepsiman comes speeding in at insane velocity, accompanied by a bitching guitar riff and an offscreen choir screaming “Pepsimannnnnnn!”
3) A yawning vortex opens in his face while he begins insanely waving his hand back and forth and Whooooosh-ing.
4) A horrific incident of crippling physical violence befalls Pepsiman.

This corporate mascot is one that definitely ought to have come Stateside.

Comments

1. Pepsiman scares me. :(

2. Paul D says:

Mommmeeee!!!!

3. EarhornJones says:

Is it just me, or do the people in the commercials not look very, um, Japanese?

4. Yaotl says:

That is one of the most frightening series of commercials I’ve ever seen.

5. KevinQ says:

I love those commercials. Very imaginative. I like how the Pepsi can at the end matches Pepsiman’s state.

K

6. Triteon says:

Remember kids, never take candy from a stranger, but it’s okay to take a soda from the Silver Surfer.

7. alohanico says:

They had ads like this in Quebec, Canada all the time.

Advertising firms that were hired to do stuff for Pepsi (which is the preferred bevrage in QC, btw) would have to present to separate marketing concepts, one for Quebec, and one for the rest of Canada.

You see, les Quebecqouis, view themselves as a separate entity/a distinct social group and would outright reject a campaign that was marketed Canada-wide.

They had a guy called Pepsiman too, but he was fat and wore blue tights

8. RumorsDaily says:

Those were great. I wish we had more commercials like that. It was like a Super Dave skit combined with Terminator 2, and, you know, Pepsi.

9. Ishmael says:

That was great! The Pepsi can at the end was a scream, and a nice touch. It almost makes me want to pick up a Pepsi when I go get gas later today. Too bad I can’t stand the stuff.

Did anyone else think that red truck chasing Pepsiman was a Coca-Cola truck at first?

10. denki says:

Man, that takes me back. Fun thing is, it’s harder than hell to find Pepsi in Japan right now, it’s turned into a Coca-Cola country.

I recently bought a bunch of 20 oz bottletops (they are nifty jobbers that fit on top of standard plastic 20 oz caps), many of which are Pepsi-man themed. Got an entire set of “Halloween Pepsiman” tops, my favorite of which looks like Pepsiman raping the Wolfman. Not sure what the designers wanted with that one…
    Checkit

11. denki says:

Ok, that link…failed…what’s with wordpress and html links?

12. TTCFCL says:

My friend has a latex fetish and owns a Pepsiman suit

anyways, I actually have the full length Pepsiman theme, along with a jungle remix and a techno remix. I guess the name of the band is “James and Gang” Here it is on Rapidshare:

13. magic8ball says:

I’m sorry, but Pepsiman just can’t compete with Kikkoman.