Pranking Solicitors Into Endless Telemarketing Loop

Creative Bastard blogger set up an extension on his phone line to route telemarketers to. It plays a loop of his voice being “highly interested” in the rep’s offer, with the goal being to keep the t-marketer on the line as long as possible.

We suggest Creative Bastard puts a longer space between his looped comments. He says this is but the first, he’s going to set the machine up and make a podcast of the best ones “over a fortnight.” We can’t wait!

powered by ODEO

Free Phone!” [Creative Bastard] (Thanks to Wade!)

UPDATE: The file’s creator has revealed the phone call was entirely simulated. The technology is real but the recording is a joke.

Comments

1. bambino says:

OMG too funny. & I agree, there should be more pause in the comments, but then you won’t get the guy subcontinental Asian guy screaming ‘NO I CANNOT!’

2. homerjay says:

Hmm… That indian guy sounds a little TOOOOO stereotypical to be real.

3. Magister says:

Wow, that is really funny. Over here in the US, the Indians calling us have all been trained to sound more Americanized…

4. creamsissle says:

Please to be letting me finish!

5. Triteon says:

I was kinda hoping the recording was a loop played back to the telemarketer…”Please stay on the line, your call if very important to me, I will be with you in a moment. There is currently one telemarketer ahead of you.”

6. This telemarketer reminds me of an Indian version of Milton from Office Space…too funny!

Now if some intrepedous phone manufacturer would build in a device that would allow you to press a button to start a recording like this, we’d be in business!

7. sp3nc3 says:

Makes me wonder if he’s just got a recording on a loop, or if it’s driven by some kind of program. A great idea would be to have a program that listens for pauses in the telemarketer’s speech and uses those pauses as triggers for the system to play a canned response. Record enough repsonses (“Please, go on,” “I’m sorry. Can you repeat that?” “I’ll have to discuss this with my wife, but it sounds good”) and filler speech (“Yeah,” “Mmm hmm,” “Uh huh,”) that it doesn’t sound canned. Throw in a “Hey, can you hang on a second? [Loooong pause] Okay, I’m back. Sorry about that. You were saying?”

8. sp3nc3 says:

Wouldn’t you know it, someone beat me to it. Ladies and gentlemen, meet The Telecrapper 2000.

9. carterdanks says:

Its great that people are finnally starting to come along, and actually enjoy the random phone calls from these annoying telemarketers. I would like to see a website go up that actually lets us post our phone conversations with these people on some kind of blog forum. I would really like to hear what gags or roles people are playing. The number on rule in any telemarketers phone pranks is not to laugh. So keep your str8 face and lets the games begin :)