Starbucks’ Subversive Employees Please Customers

We find this tale of Starbucks satisfaction, courtesy of Evan D, just so very cute. Notice anything interesting about it?

On Sunday, August 20, my entire family visited the Starbucks store located at 3101 South Western Ave, Marion, IN at 8:00 PM. (Yes, the same Marion of “Taco Bell Sauce Dump” fame.) They were downright swamped, and there were only 3 people working. One taking drive thru orders and making drive thru drinks, one on dine in register, and one making dine in drinks. As you can imagine, it took a while to make all of those drinks (around 10 minutes). But here’s the good part.

Most of my family ordered Talls, but one or two of us ordered Grande drinks. However, when we received our drinks, we all received Ventis. Our receipt showed the right sizes that we ordered. We questioned the Starbucks staff about it, and they said that they were upsizing them because of the wait that we had had. I work in fast food (unfortunately), and know that giving away free items is costly. But what was even more amazing was that there did not seem to be a manager in the store. I know from experience that when managers are gone, things tend to go downhill at a restaurant. But in this case, they appeared to do the exact opposite.

I applaud Starbucks for their amazing customer service and low-level employee training. While their free upsize did add a few hundred calories to our drinks, I still applaud them. Let’s say that Starbucks has secured my business for a long time. Thanks!

That’s right… satisfaction came only when Starbucks management was left completely out of the loop. Yeah… that seems about right.

Comments

1. RandomHookup says:

I don’t speak Starbucks…is this a good thing?

2. bambino says:

Random, you’re just too cool for words.

I would say that a ‘shift manager’ was probably on duty, since one must be at all times. The ‘store manager’ is usually some jerk that uses company time to run personal errands, and so is never there. This I gleaned from dating a sexy barista. BTW, the smallest gestures such as tipping them your spare change will gain you great future service.

3. Cathoo says:

Yes, Ventis are good things.

As for management being out of the loop, I recall being told many moons ago that the shift supervisor is the one who makes the calls on what must be done to satisfy angry customers. Otherwise, you’d end up calling the manager whenever you had to remake a drink. There has to be a shift supervisor on duty, cause otherwise the staff can’t get paid. There’s only one manager per store.

4. gvonk says:

Eh, not coffee, though. It’s friggin water. It’s an extra shot of espresso. I’m gonna wager that the cost of upsizing your drinks a few ounces was a few cents. Sure, if everyone did it for every customer, it’d hit the bottom line. But you could upsize everyone for an entire shift and it’d probably be pretty negligible, stacked up next to the 3 bucks per cup they’re getting from each and every one of those customers.

5. Frank Grimes says:

Ingrateful bastards. Throw Starbucks a bone, they did a “good” thing and you all just want to tear them a new one on principle.

6. North of 49 says:

On more than one occasion, they messed up my order. I’m allergic to coffee but can do some of the blended creams. One time, I ordered a Venti and four other drinks and the person behind me ordered a Grande of the same drink that was my Venti. Guess what came up? My Venti. Guess what the guy took off with? My Venti. When my order was ready with the Grande instead of my venti, I was understandably upset. So, the worker immediately made me another Venti and let me take that Grande home cause no one else wanted it. I also got a “free drink” coupon for their screw up.

I would have thought that they’d get my order done first then do the guy’s order. Not with two barristas on staff working during a peak. It was a race of “who can finish the order(s) first” and that affected me. That same Starbucks made a few more mistakes, but not to that degree.

7. Chris V says:

I went to Starbucks here a few weeks ago with my wife. We went through the drive-thru, placed our order, and pulled up to the window. We were too busy chatting to notice that we sat there far longer than usual. When they finally acknowledged us at the window, they were extremely apologetic for forgetting about us. My wife later said at one point she overheard the manager tell the employee to remake the order, probably because the guy was a trainee and screwed it up. Because of the time we waited, they said they would actually give us the drinks for free. We were really surprised since we hadn’t been keeping track of the time, looked at each other, said “ok!”, took the drinks, and drove off without paying.

Given that the actual cost of a cup of coffee with whipped creme is about $0.25, I’m sure they don’t have any problem remaking a new cup every once in a while or even giving away some for free like that.

8. Vinny says:

Not for nothing, and anyone who knows me knows I’m a Starbucks fanboy, but this is not the rare exception to the rule it would appear to be. It happens all the time, and Starbucks employees (for the most part; as always YRMV) are usually pretty quick to try to make you happy if something they do makes you unhappy.

Again, I’m only speaking from experiences I’ve had. Sure there are jerks, but most Starbucks employees are just honest kids trying to make a buck.

9. Miss Blue says:

Yeah, I totally heart Starfucks. I went to one the other night and asked for a frappacino (lite) and forgot to say no whip. They made one w/whipped cream, and when I asked them to take it off, they made me a whole new one. I protested, saying I hated waste and hated to take up more of their time, but neither barista minded. Good peeps at that store, for sure, but I STILL HATE WASTE.

10. JackieTreehorn says:

There’s a Starbucks in Marion? Holy shit, they are everywhere.

11. Sheik says:

Starbucks in gernerally a good company, neverminding the oversaturation of the market. They even give benefits to their part-timers. Just avoid the over-priced food at the ones in Manhattan, known mouse problems.

12. AcilletaM says:

Oversaturated? There was an article in the paper yesterday about how Starbucks was going to expand in the Chicago market even more because it was undersaturated. By undersaturated that means 8 coffeehouses per 100,000 people vs 10 coffeehouses per 100,000 people like LA.

13. Triteon says:

An oldie, but a goodie:
    “New Starbucks Opens In Rest Room Of Existing Starbucks”

14. Triteon says:

An oldie, but a goodie:
    “New Starbucks Opens in Rest Room of Existing Starbucks”
    (Sorry if this is a double post)

15. Yaotl says:

Pfft, I never get any free stuff at Starbucks for waiting. I was standing at the little bar waiting for my Frap and kept waiting until someone just asked what I had ordered. They made it, but nothing extra.

16. bambino says:

Yaotl, probably because you called it a ‘frap’.

17. Sheik says:

another good thing about starbuck…at the bigger ones, aspecially in Manhattan, like the big Astor Place one (yes there are two), you can pretty much just walk up and stand by the counter where they put the drinks and take one. I doubt anyone will say anything.

18. Yes, there is a Starbucks in Marion. Even more amazing, the one in Marion has been so successful, they are building one on Interstate 69 in Gas City, which is about 10 minutes away from Marion and a town of about 10,000 people.

19. I went to a local Starbucks drive-thru the other day, and experienced quite a wait. It appeared that they had been giving the people in the vehicles ahead of me free drink coupons for the inconvenience. When I got there, they explained that “the computer” was acting up – promptly losing every drink order as soon as it was input. Sadly, their debit/credit card processing used the same system, and I had insufficient cash on hand.

Well, the good folks there decided to just comp my drink (since they were essentially giving them away for free, anyways), and I ended up with a lovely free frappuccino. Thanks, Starbucks!

20. bambino says:

Sheik, that’s dick.

21. w.oods says:

I am going to print a hundred of these and leave them on the newspapers stands at the shops next to the Starbucks down the block. I don’t care if it’s real or not. It will be fun to watch them explain to all these people that they are not valid.

22. Mary says:

My friend had made a coffee run once, and on her way out, a block or so from the store, she tripped and dropped all the coffees. The fact that she had stacked them probably hadn’t helped. Anyway, as she picked up the cups, some man walked up to her, identified himself as a Starbucks manager-type, and handed her some free drink vouchers, and walked away. Anyway, for a heartless global corporation, I’ve always heard very positive things about them.

23. kc-guy says:

I go very rarely, for the hot caramel apple cider.

Last go-round I was upgraded from whatever the codename for a small is to whatever the codename for a large is, just for a little small talk on a slow night. Not a bad conversation either. Who know Family Guy could make a great drinking game?

I found the recipe for my drink of choice on the internet, but they all called for the special shot of syrup. I purchased a bottle of the cinnamon syrup for about $6.