Time Warner Pays Inexplicable House Call, Consumerist Helps

Dan Edelman, a loyal Consumerist reader, was shocked to hear a Time Warner Cable tech visited his apartment yesterday. Odder than the difficulty in getting one to show up in the first place was that the tech wasn’t asked for. No service call was put in. His cheetos slathered roommate let the guy in without an explanation. The tech puttered around for 20 minutes and left.

When Edelman (pictured) heard about this, he raced home to find out if anything was stolen. Upon inspection, nothing seemed amiss, but the mystery remained. What was this guy doing there?

There’s two possibilities we can think of:
1) A TWC tech has gone buckwild.
2) Someone in Park Slope is impersonating a TWC tech and casing people’s joints.

To find out, Edelman began questioning Time Warner customer service. They were no help, so he started IMing us with advice for how to conduct his calls. We walk him through, live…

Follow along our exciting IM journey, inside!

homeinvasion1.jpg

homeinvasion2mod.jpg

Stay tuned for the next installment in this scintillating true customer service crime!

Comments

1. AcilletaM says:

All seriousness aside, I take it he didn’t have to pay a dollar this time to get this posted?

And really, the roommate should have stayed with the tech, he even could have kept eating his cheetos.

2. Ben Popken says:

This one was on the house, since Gawker paid me to post it.

3. Hooray4Zoidberg says:

Sometimes the techs will come by to check for signal leakage. If your cables aren’t tightly screwed into the tv or cable box it can leak which can interfere with airplanes and communication devices.

The cable tech has instruments that can detect leak this when they drive around your neihborhood. If there is a signal leak they have to fix it ASAP or they can face fines from the FCC. If you refuse to let them in to do it they have to shut off your cable until you do.

When the techs discover signal leakage they don’t usually set up a service ticket unless you aren’t home to let them in. They need to fix them as soon as they can. I think they tech that covers that area can be held repsonsible if there are unfixed signal leaks in his coverage area. This is likley what that guy was there for. Had your roomate bothered to even ask what he was doing there you might know for sure.

This may actually be a good strategy to get a cable tech over for another issue. Loosed up a few cables, call in and report a signal leak and you should have a tech over within a day.

4. Bonedaddy says:

A Cox service tech showed up at my place unexpectedly a few months ago
    and asked to see every room in the house with a cable connection. I
    asked if there was a problem and he told me no, but that there might be
    in the future. Slipped a new connector onto a cable in the den, checked
    the hook-up outside and left. He wasn’t real forthcoming about why he
    was there and it kinda pissed me off. So now, I’m hoping for “signal
    leakage” as opposed to “casing the joint.”

5. karl hungus says:

All things are possible at this point.

I have been in touch with the head of Customer service several times, and they are looking into it. Much like Bonedaddy, I pray for “signal leakage.”

6. Drinker Nisti says:

I’ve never heard of cable techs showing up out of the blue… Making mental note to ask for the tech’s name and work order # to confirm with cable co. before letting the guy in…

7. Papa K says:

Do you live by me? A tech showed up when I canceled my cable (oh torrents, hwo I lvoe thee) and took my cable modem as well. Then they canceled my account, billed me an additional months service, and when I call to get it straightened out they can’t get why I would cancel everything (I didn’t) to turn around and sign up again. It’s not a love-hate relationship, I jsut really, really, hate them.

8. Ran Kailie says:

This is why I always demand something from people who come for service calls verifying they are an employee. And I make sure my roommates do the same thing. This really sounds like someone may have been casing his house to me, we had some similar incidents in the DC area a couple years ago with people pretending to be Starpower techs to case people’s houses and them rob them.

9. missdona says:

I had a TWC “supervisor” show up once to check the work that the guy did the day before. I let him in, but said I was on my way out and he had to go.