Live, Hot, Best Buy Chatroom

Gizmodo spotted that Best Buy is offering an exciting opportunity to engage its employees in online chat sessions dubbed, “Ask a Blue Shirt.” They will answer all your back-to-school questions about how Best Buys range of products and services can help you make the grade!

Golly jenkins, the comedic possibilities, they are endless. Gatecrash time.

The sessions are at Askablueshirt.com, 8-8:30 PM EDT August 27, 9-9:30 PM EDT August 29, and 1-1:30 PM EDT Aug 31. 30 minutes each.

Pray tell, if you had a blue shirt locked down and forced to answer your questions, what would they be? Respond in the comments or tips at consumerist.com.

Just watch out when they want to go in private IM and give you a dozen ASCII roses.

Comments

1. homerjay says:

I’d ask them the only question that they know the answer to-

Where’s the bathroom?

2. Kornkob says:

Of course what could be a good service oportunity will instead be closed when a bunch of people show up with the intent of making jokes and finding the flaws– as opposed to helping thme make it a better service.

3. Ben Popken says:

Are you joking? They’re hopeless.

4. I’ve seen similiar “live” chats go on before. last one I saw for something or another, you typed in your question and they would pick one from the 100’s being put in (usually the most PR freindly one being typed by a plant placed on the web to ask PR Friendly questions)

So if you post anything that could be bad for business it’ll be ignored. That’s just my guess.

5. Pelagius says:

This isn’t even a “good service opportunity” – it’s a sales pitch. How
    can Best Buy’s range of products help me make the grade? Indeed.

6. “Have you ever been touched inappropriately by the giant yellow price tag?”

7. Kornkob says:

No, I’m not joking. I’ve used chat to get service from several businesses and had some pretty good results. But I can’t imagine that flooding the IM service folks with ‘jokes’ will improve that level of service.

8. John Q Media says:

They’re going to bring in someone who actually knows what the fuck they’re talking about to host this chat, not one of their typical in-store flunkies.

The thing is, no matter how successful they are with this little online chat, their army of blue-shirted slack-jawed scmhucks in the stores will be as useless as ever.

9. Demingite says:

Will they encourage (beg, plead, cajole) me through an IM to buy an Extended Service Plan on my 10-pak of Bic Stics? While they haven’t been trained to find the “on” button on a computer.

Best Buy has perhaps the most anti-customer, anti-customer service, immediate-profit-oriented culture of any company extant outside of AOL. Quite a feat.

Best Buy has earned the cynicism and mistrust of millions of consumers.

10. SharkJumper says:

This is a back-to-school promo, right? I think we should keep the questions relevant to back-to-school …

“There’s this really cute girl in second hour that doesn’t know I exist. How do I talk to her without her thinking I’m totally stalking her?”

“I met some guy through MySpace. How do I let him know that I don’t want to meet him IRL, without him taking me off his friends list?”

“Ecstasy or Meth?”

11. this is NOT best buy trying to be helpful, so there should be no reservations or remorse over taking advantage of the opportunity to mess with them.
    this IS simply best buy realizing that newspaper circulation is down, fewer people are seeing their ads, and grasping at straws to try and squeeze more money out of people.

i’m with demingite on this, best buy is the aol of electronics retailers. sooner or later people will learn to do their own research and realize that there’s a better world out there beyond spoon-fed sales pitches. until then, best buy and their customers both deserve what they get.

12. amazon says:

I guess they had to do this because all of the real life blue shirts are busy “not talking to you”. (Seriously, this is the best buy ad campaign ’round these parts.) :(

13. Marcus says:

Honestly, I’m tired of the blue shirt stereotype. There are a lot of us who currently do or once did work at Best Buy–I fall into the latter category. Honestly, I was damn good at my job. I sold digital cameras, and not a person left there without knowing (probably too much) about their camera, as well as getting them everything they’d need so they don’t have to come back. Yes, it was a male heavy store, and I was all too happy to help an attractive female. Yes, a lot of Best Buys are poorly staffed, but honestly–what do you want from these people? A part time associate at Best Buy is lucky to make the same amount as a McDonalds clerk–how enthused about your job would you be then?

Not to mention, when associates have to deal with self-righteous, know-it-all customers like us (yes, I am one now,) they probably tire very readily of the experience.

All I’m saying is, let’s remember who the real culprit is, here: Best Buy Corp. Overall, I like the company. My local Best Buy (granted, it is one of the top ranked in the country) is staffed with mostly knowledgable salespeople, and all friendly staff. I still shop there, almost exclusively, for my electronics.

At times, I wonder if people go to Best Buy just so they can bitch about the service when they leave. That’s the wonderful thing about capitalism people–it’s not “The People’s Buy,” where when one little boy wants XBOX 360, every little boy get XBOX 360, it’s a business. And, it has competitors. If you want to send a message to a local Best Buy about the poor quality of it’s sales staff, take your business elsewhere. Trust me, it works. Otherwise, just go to Circuit City, get the same sub-par service, but you won’t post about it, because they arent the market leader.

All I ask is that we remember, we ought to be on the side of the lowly best buy worker–they’re getting shafted as hard as we are.

14. John Stracke says:

I’ve never really had a problem with Best Buy. Their prices are rarely competitive with online stores, and their sales force doesn’t know much about the products; but, within those limitations, it’s a fairly pleasant place to shop. The return policy is reasonable, products are easy to find, there’s usually plenty of selection. There’s one a block from my work, and I often go there when I need something small. I usually do my research first, of course, using their Web site to find out whether they’ve got what I need.

The worst thing I can say about them is the time I bought a device (a DVD+VCR combo), it was broken out of the box, I returned it…and then I saw it sitting on the shelf, labeled “as is”. That was pretty slimy.

It’s not an angel, it’s not a demon, it’s just retail.

15. Marcus says:

John–

Yea, I remember that happening all too often. The problem is, the techs have to test it when it comes in, and if it shows some semblance of functioning, then we have to sell it open box. At least thats how I remember it (no libel, please.) Sucks.

16. Jesse in Japan says:

I would ask them this: “So if I were to invalidate my waranty by returning my broken iPod video in the box of a new one I had just purchased because I didn’t want to pay to ship it in to Apple (for free), do I still have to pay a restocking fee?”