Chase Pitches Imaginary Credit Card

Here’s a great new trick to get consumers to fall for your credit card offer. Smudge the outside of the envelope with the outline of a credit card so they think there’s one inside. Then when they open it, there isn’t one! But hey, you got them to open the envelope, right? And that’s half the battle when you’re pitching 29% APRs.

Tipster Ben M. wonders, “Who’s the target consumer that is so fooled by an inked-on credit card that they open this envelope (and not others), realize there’s no instant gratification, but then sit down and fill out the forms?”

We’re not sure, but you might be able to spot him by the presence of a pacifier or lollipop betwixt his lips.

Comments

1. Demingite says:

I make a point to boycott any organization that employs “trick you into opening the envelope” tactics.

Why would I want to business with a company that plays games like that? What other games will they play?

2. phanie says:

My favorite was the Capitol One “offer” that came in one of those small padded envelopes and had what looked like a typewritten label on it.

3. thrillhouse says:

As disgusting as this is, I’ve endured watching an acquaintance jump up and down, squeeling with excitement because she thought there was a new credit card inside of the envelope she was opening. So yeah, this is spot on with their target market – those in debt and with a taste for debt.

Are people starting to understand that companies like Chase and Citi group are total scum?

4. creamsissle says:

Hmm… I wonder if they’ll accept a photocopy of a check as payment.

5. Clampants says:

This would only cause me to suspect the postal office of trying some sort of credit card fraud.

6. Sir Winston Thriller says:

Well, some of us open those things up so we can shred it easier.

7. Lesley says:

Bank of America sent me a similar piece last year. It’s doubly insulting because I direct mail was once my primary job. FYI, any piece of “official-looking” mail that has a postal indicia that indicates it was sent anything other than by first class mail can go directly into the recycle bin. Any mail that contains personal information must be sent via first class.

8. Magister says:

The ones that offer low percentage offers tend to be in the normal envelopes. The tricky packages almost always offer the bend over variety. Like the spend 3000 dollars in interest over next 5 years for a 500 dollar computer. Or 25% intro rate.

9. mono says:

Capital One used to have little tiny stickers that you put on your form so you can pick what your credit card will look like. In my student days in halls, we managed to totally cover 3 doors with these tiny stickers – we used to get those letters that much.

When I went back there about 3 years after I left there were 3 flats covered in these stickers and our old kitchen was completely covered from top to bottom. Quite impressed we started a freaky trend, but more impressed with the persistence of capital one to try and rip off students.

I told one of the guys that we had started the door originally, when he sadly informed me that they had since ceased using the stickers and now put fake plastic credit cards in the envelopes – ‘but they dont stick up so easy’. The dissapointment in his voice was truly heartbreaking.

: D