UK Lightens Security Measures… Still Fears Liquids

Well, at the very least, the UK seems to have come to their senses, ratcheting down their terror level: British travelers can now carry-on one piece of luggage, including laptops and iPods, with the only stipulation that it can’t be a liquid or a case full of dynamite.

One odd qualification is this:

To help their progress through search points, passengers are encouraged not to include items capable of containing liquids (e.g. bottles, flasks, tubes, cans, plastic containers etc.) in their cabin baggage.

So an empty bottle in your luggage (say, to fill up from the airplane’s tap to keep yourself hydrated when the stewardesses aren’t rattling the refreshment cart up the aisle) will subject you to the double pat down and possibly a deep anal rooting.

The empty plastic bottle: terrorism’s scimitar!

New UK Airline Security Measures (Thanks, Mark!)

Comments

1. olegna says:

“to fill up from the airplane’s tap to keep yourself hydrated”

[shudder]

2. I know, but I have to confess, I do this all the time.

3. Amy Alkon000 says:

Eeeuw! You Brits.

I get altitude sickness. One way to prevent it is to drink a lot of water. I wonder if the airlines will now be carrying more water. Any flight attendants care to weigh in?

4. Amy Alkon000 says:

PS A substitute for not enough water is giving me oxygen when I start seeing stars and hurling. My seatmates and I will thank you to keep me properly hydrated so it doesn’t get to that point.

5. Chris Gibson says:

Believe me, if you want to drink the water from an airplane tap, then being prevented from doing so by outlawing empty bottles is truly saving you from yourself!

6. Anonymously says:

“The empty plastic bottle: terrorism’s scimitar!”

The TSA: terrorism’s sheath.

7. Triteon says:

Amy- you always post such well-thought opinions and views on this site, but I have to ask two questions:
    How dehydrated can you get on a flight? Ususally I’m just stuck sitting there, reading or napping.
    Can’t we all just drink our water–I prefer mine Dewar’s flavored– prior to boarding?

8. Amy – I read that airlines are stocking extra water and other beverages.

Triteon – “How dehydrated can you get on a flight?” VERY. Particularly going overseas. I have real dry skin, so I notice it a lot, like, on my arms. Itchy and flakey. Some people are more or less bothered. On very long flights, you can feel almost like you have a hangover from the dehydration if you don’t drink water diligently.

Also for people who have motion sickness or ear issues, a little water in the stomach sometimes helps with the nausea. (But sometimes it’s just that much more to throw up.)

9. Morgan says:

Triteon- First, she specifically said that she has altitude sickness that can be prevented with water. Dehydration isn’t her issue; it’s that she vomits when she doesn’t get enough water at high altitudes. Second, I can put up with not having something to drink for 3 or 4 hours if I have to, but flights can last a lot longer than that, particularly if you have delays on the runway.

10. RandomHookup says:

Remember that some flights are long…try SFO to Sydney (13 hours I think) and sometimes you bounce quickly from one flight to another.

11. Triteon says:

Hey, I’m not trying to start an argument, I’m just asking a question. But I also can’t remember being on a plane where the flight attendants didn’t have water available. Whether your Dasani is bought on the ground or in the air it still costs twice as much as gasoline.

12. “How dehydrated can you get on a flight?”

Some medications can dry you out.

13. Keeping hydrated… overly so, even… is the only sure way I know to prevent not getting ill on a long flight. I’ll drink a couple liters of water on an average trans-Atlantic flight.

14. AcidReign says:

…..I purposely try to get dehydrated on flights. Yeah, Amy’s right about the motion-sick issue, but I can live with a queasy stomach a lot longer than with a full-to-bursting bladder! Last few flights I was on (United), they used the “turbulence” excuse (bight, sunny day, few clouds) to keep everyone belted in the entire flight. I’d rather use the bag for its intended purpose, than as a urinal…

15. An aircraft cabin’s humidity is generally less than 25% which is extrememly low (A house with the airconditioner running is around 35%). That would explain why people feel dehydrated and have dry noses, etc, while flying.

I fly overseas at least once a year, and never have a problem getting enough liquids on international flights…though the flight is usually 11-13 hours long..so they better serve them.

Domestic flights are a different story, and if the government is going to ban drinking water, then they need to provide a suitable in-flight replacement.

16. The Unicorn says:

Okay, two things:

First of all, I can’t imagine that the airlines would actually insist that you stay in your seat if you have a bathroom emergency, unless it was a situation where even the flight attendants had to stay belted. After a certain point, “I can’t” becomes an unavoidable rejoinder to “Hold it.”

And second of all, my aunt’s girlfriend used to be a mechanic for United, and she CAN. NOT. STRESS. ENOUGH. that you should NEVER drink the water from the tap in airplane bathrooms. She demurred to a “you really don’t want to know” when I asked why (after finding out that I’d done so in the past), so technically it’s heresay, but…yeah. I have never seen her so adamant on anything, ever, & for what it’s worth, I never do it anymore. I’m pretty sure that stuff ain’t completely sanitary.

17. moejuda says:

It isn’t hearsay at all. I recall several news reports regarding the abysmal water quality from bathroom taps on airplanes. The stuff had a very high bacteria content, if I remember correctly. A quick search turned up http://www.epa.gov/safewater/airlinewater/index2.html. Eww.