Truth in Advertising, Courtesy of Sunoco

From the Cheektowaga Times, apparently courtesy of the New York Times:

Motorists continue to grumble as the price for a gallon of gas has soared above $3 for the second time in less than a year. The operators at Edward’s Service Station on Harlem Road agree that residents need some relief, and offered a sarcastic opinion on the prices they are forced to charge.

Exeunt, stage left: one fired gas station attendant.

Gas Pains [Cheektowaga Times]

Comments

1. phelander says:

This arm and leg shit is old. Gas Stations have been doing it for years. Nice waste of sooace article. You can tell you guys are on vacation.

2. Hawkins says:

This was reasonably funny in the 1970s, during the Embargo.

It got less funny during the 1980s. Any amount of humor content that this joke had was pretty much eliminated during the 1990s.

3. aka Cat says:

Eh, a lot of the current gas pump jockies and convenience store clerks were probably born in the 80s. Let them have their turn at classic humor.

4. JMC says:

You may have previously enjoyed this photo when your mom emailed it to you 3 years ago.

5. AcilletaM says:

Wal*Mart

6. Triteon says:

Verizon still has pay phones?

7. clear rants says:

Yeah. I wasn’t alive in the 70′s and during the 80′s I was too young to care about gas prices.

I think it’s funny, you old fogies.

8. Triteon says:

I feel sorry for the kids who can’t understand the pure pleasure of pumping $0.65 leaded gasoline into 8 cylinders of Detroit’s finest!

9. amazon says:

I haven’t seen gas prices that low for… two years?

10. Don’t they usually squeeze “first born” in for premium fuel?

11. Yeesh. I remember when gas was 87 cents a gallon. Glad I don’t own a car now.

12. And, I’m only 31.

13. mactbone says:

I got my license when gas was still reliably 99 cents. Then we had a price war over the summer and I could get it as cheap as 70 cents. Ahh, the halycon days of 1998.

14. AcidReign says:

…..They had gas price wars when I was a kid. I remember Sinclair had $0.25 a gallon gas, and I got a free blow-up dinosaur when my dad bought a tankful for our ’58 Chevrolet Biscayne. (6-cylinder)

…..Funny thing about those old V-8s: a modern 6-cylinder sedan with fuel-injection and good tires will blow away a stock ’60s sedan in a drag race! And get at least double the mileage…

15. bambino says:

@ Acid
    The easy answer I see:
    60′s sedan = metal body
    modern sedan = fiberglass body

16. fuck them, i haven’t paid 3.08 for the cheap stuff in alomst a year. i’d bitch about living in los angeles, but i’m too glad i don’t live in hawaii.