GameCrazy Sales Training Video is So Bad it Hurts Good

Revel in the upsell tactics, uptempo snyths and local video production house stable of actors, especially Zelda Scott. She’s prone to lines like “I’m down here in the hizzouse, you know, the heezy, with the GC posse, to get the 411 on GameCrazy,” and “They can’t hate on our used games.”

“What games does he like to play?”
“Uh, his favorite is dragon games.”

“Alright so based on what you’re telling me, basically what we’re gonna do is set you up with some accessories, a DVD remote, a wireless controller and we’re gonna have to get you some memory cards to get you started.”

Alright, so based on what I can see, you’re totally clueless and I’m going to cram you for every add-on I can squeeze.

Caveat Emptor when entering the realm of Game Crazy. Be sure to have enough mana to cast your 9th level enchantment of “No Thanks, Just Looking.”

via InsignificantThoughts.

Comments

1. homerjay says:

I think she was just trying to come off as funny more than genuine. Unfortunately all she succeeded in coming off as was pathetic.

Retail sales training video’s are ALWAYS suck-ass.

Pandering to the lowest common denominator. Either that or retail sales is just not tough enough to warrant a training video.

2. First of all, retail is no walk in the park, at least not legitimate retail. (I’m 20 and work at an upscale boutique, not some mall store where kids wander around and look at you with vacant stares when you have sixteen hangars in your hands and need a fitting room.) Selling someone anything is an art, and maximizing sales requires care and finesse. That said, training videos are, indeed, ridiculous. I’ve found that retail is something that you either get naturally or will never be any good at, no matter how many acronyms or buzzwords someone throws at you.

Regardless, Zelda is fierce. She’s the only one in the video who doesn’t seem like a douche, because she’s so over the top and the rest of them are playing it so straight it’s sad.

3. DeeJayQueue says:

I think it should be a rite of passage that you don’t get to bitch about shoddy retail service till you’ve done your time behind a register.

4. pr0FF3ss0r_j3rkwh3at says:

As a former GC “store director”, lemme just say HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Thank God I’m not in retail anymore.

5. There was a “Too Much Coffee Man” comic that read:

“Would you rather drive a nail through your hand or work retail?”

To which is responded, “What kind of nail?”

Retail is the pits, but everyone should have to do it at some point or another in their life, like the military in Austria…

6. pr0FF3ss0r_j3rkwh3at says:

Here is the real tragicomedy of this video. It has to be their new training video. One of the old videos (I would have been showing this to my employees in early ’05) had people being “EXTREME!!” and was attempting to parody “Jackass”. I should have taken the videos with me when I left, they are comedy gold Jerry.

7. Ishmael says:

If everyone had to work retail, in food service, or in customer service for awhile in their lives, then I don’t think Consumerist would have a leg to stand on. Well, maybe a small pegleg or something like that, but certainly nothing natural or strong.

I’ve worked retail (Kmart) and I got two things out of it: a healthy respect for the poor schmuck behind the register, and a husband.

8. Ben Popken says:

@DeeJayQueue: Done and done. Sold shoes, if you can believe it.

9. Derek, IN says:

First, it was DRIVING games not dragon games, but ha ha HA!
    Second, Game Crazy SUCKS! My local GameStop “rocks the hizzy.”
    Third, the whole video is condesending to the “Idiot customer.”
    Fourth, they totally took advantage of the “soccer mom.”

10. homerjay says:

I agree, people don’t understand what its like behind the counter. I worked in retail and retail support for several years. Recently, I had a friend go to work selling computers for best buy. He said to me after his first week “Boy, this place is great, they let you do what you want! There’s totally no pressure”

I said “Oh, so they haven’t trained you on service plans yet.”

To which he said “Yeah, they did, its so easy. The plan is great and they don’t care if you sell it or not.”

I replied “uh huh… I give you a week”

I got a lot of hemming and hawing about my position but less than a week later I had a big ol’ apology. Retail is retail. There is no legitimate retail.

11. SlyBevel says:

DarnDarnDarn…

Looks like someone at GS corporate got wind of this, and now it’s been pulled from YouTube. I really want to see it, too.