Confessions of AOL Users: Vol. 1

Forget the privacy issues. AOL leaking its search records is the best thing to hit Internet comedy perhaps ever. Thanks, AOL! You’re the fuck-up that keeps on giving.

Confessions of AOL Users: Vol. 1 [YTMND]

Comments

1. Ishmael says:

Vinny – you’ve started a fad. AOL’s poor service and decisions are in every other article I read, and not just here. I see it in the local news, on Fark, on YouTube, and on television. I’m not saying it isn’t unwarranted – it’s just amazing to me how the subject has absolutely saturated the news.

So tell me, how does it feel, Trendsetter? Has it brought you fortune, or just the fame? Do you feel you’ve done a public service? I’m really not trying to be rude, but I’m curious how the person who started this tsunami feels about the whole thing.

Vincent Ferrari – After the Storm. Tonight at 11.

2. Ishmael says:

And what’s with user 17556639 searching for ‘steak and cheese,’ and then sitting down for a session of dead people pictures? Some folk are strange….

3. bambino says:

Ummmmm, NSFW.

4. Morton Fox says:

Maybe he’s doing research for a novel.

5. AcilletaM says:

Is that a picture of Scott Peterson?

6. mistress smarty says:

AcilletaM: Yes.

7. I love how that user refines his search.

“How to kill your wife.” No, not your wife. My wife.
    “Wife killer.” Too many wives who are killers. Hm.
    “How to kill a wife.” Bingo!
    “Poop.”

8. It’s reasonably safe for work if no one is reading over your shoulder.

9. AOL is funny – and I dislike what they have done as much as anyone. But their business savvy is pretty incredible – the idea that they were able to milk this much revenue for this long by being the ‘Cable television’ of the internet, is startling to say the least. Now they’ve done a 360, and they actually will still be generating more revenue than last year if they lost ALL their customers?!?!?

10. GenXCub says:

They’re trying to woo a few of us who worked for NetScape back in with great deals, all while laying off thousands. Truly, the only reason for me not to go would be the death threats from the laid off :)

11. bambino says:

Oh yeah, especially the large ‘HORSE DICK’ part of it.

12. lgf says:

Consumerist:
    “leaking it’s search records”?

I should be “its”.

Sincerely,
    The Grammar Police.

13. bambino says:

lgf,
    I believe someone recently posted that you will invariably make a grammatical error in your post correcting someone about their own grammatical error. Cheers!

14. lgf says:

Ha! Touche.

15. lgf says:

Touché. Oh look, I can use accent marks on vowels! There, I promise to spell check next time. :-)

16. Tiger says:

So let me get this straight, I can search for stuff on the web and my wife might find out… from AOL…? Crap, so much for deleting history and cache.

17. LLH says:

i think they mean if you use AOL for your internet access. although why ANYONE would use them boggles the mind.

18. Morgan says:

Clearly because they haven’t been able to cancel their accounts, LLH.

19. kc-guy says:

@lgf
    Good call on the accented vowels. At first glance I read it as a typo of douche. (which I suppose would have been just as justified a response.)