Boobie Magazine Not That Bad Considering…

For those puritans shocked by the sight of a real live breast adorning Baby Talk magazine, or even those shocked by those who were shocked… remember, it could be much worse. Last month someone got stoned (as in, pelted with heavy rocks) in Ethiopia for simply breastfeeding in public. Further shocked was visiting world humanitarian and sometimes U2 band member, Bono. Reports CBS2 Chicago:

“The American woman was oblivious of the offence she was causing, and had to escape the angry onslaught from female Muslims who had no qualms about injuring her or her baby.

“One of the women was breast-feeding a child on the horse. She was so comfortable. She didn’t mean to be insensitive.

“But the Muslim women did not like this and came out and started throwing stones at her because she was showing her breasts.”

When breastfeeding in public, be discreet. Duck behind a nearby Joshua Tree.

(Thanks to Richard!)

Comments

1. Sturm Truppen says:

Religious tolerance for the win!

2. any such name says:

religious tolerance nothing. it’s never anyone’s right to harm another human being.

3. Mary Marsala with Fries says:

What kind of mother would expose her child to Muslim women anyway? Does she want that baby to grow up thinking she’s property?

What we need is a female Muslim prophet to preach their stupid religion* to its logical conclusion. “Kill every woman with breasts! Kill yourself if you touch breasts, or see them! Commit suicide if you ever have a sexual thought! You don’t deserve to live!

That’d clear out half of ‘em, right there. And the rest a generation later. Yay, Darwin!

-M.

*That is, the stupid social manifestation of their religion, which, like Christianity, has very little to do in practice with what is actually written down.

4. Ishmael says:

Maybe it’s a little off-topic, but I have to wonder if there are calm, understanding, low-key Muslims out there, just like Christians. Not every Christian is a Pat Robertson. Many just live their lives the best they can and follow the Golden Rule, but you never see or hear from those folks. You think there are Muslims out there the same way, and we only see the wackjobs and terrorists?

5. bambino says:

Ishmael, yes.

6. SharkJumper says:

I agree with Ishmael.

I also kind of find it funny how quick people are to tie religion in
    general to the boobie magazine. This magazine has been sitting on my
    coffee table for a few weeks now (we’re expecting later this year, so I
    guess we get it for free somehow). I didn’t know that there was any
    kind of controversy until I saw it pop up on Consumerist. Even then, it
    was already the second time that it had been discussed; I had missed
    the first. It caught my eye because I recognized the cover photo. I
    went back and read the first reference as well as the article.

What made me laugh is that nowhere in either the article or the
    Consumerist’s write-up (until this one) was religion mentioned, yet the
    comments were full of hateful blasting of, if I recall, “Republican
    Christian prudes” surrounded by many occurences of the f-bomb and a
    genreal questioning of their sexual preferences.

I suppose most people would place me pretty squarely into the
    Republican Christian prude category, but it never occured to my wife
    and I that this should be controversial as the magazine sat on our
    coffee table for all of our Republican Christian prude friends to see.
    Not a single one was shocked by it nor even gave it a second glance.

In my book, confusing breast-feeding and sexuality is more of a mark of
    an immaturity about sexuality: sort of a broad generalization that
    because sex involves body parts, then body parts are bad. It’s a stupid
    generalization.

Equally as stupid is pinning your outrage on “the religious.” It is
    also a stupid generalization, and hypocrisy to boot. You’re basically
    trying to say, “My prejudice is morally superior to your prejudice.”
    Nevermind how many women are breast-feeding in public, your stupid is
    showing. Cover it up!

Don’t make the chip on your shoulder my problem.

And to quote my wife (upon showing her the Consumerist articles): “Hey! I like my boobie magazine!”

7. Anonymous says:

I’m pretty sure there are moderate Muslims… and they all live in the United States.

Seriously, just do it out by country. Muslims in Asia, Middle East: overwhelmingly violent. Muslims in Europe: violent. Muslims in the United States: I can’t recall any violence.

8. Ishmael says:

Oooh, Quote For The Day, SharkJumper: “My prejudice is morally superior to your prejudice.”

You get a cookie!