Best Buy Hates Firefox

Loyal Consumerist Danilo slowly accrued Best Buy points, only to be foiled by retarded web design.

He loaded up the gift certificates in his browser, but Best Buy wouldn’t let him print them out.

Danilo missed the tiny print below the big yellow button that said the printing…. only works in Internet Explorer.

You only get two shots to print. Danilo fudged both and now has to wait a month before trying to print again.

Best Buy sucks. Stop shopping there. Danilo’s letter inside.

“Gentlemen,

Having worked within the belly of the beast for two years when I was a lad, I rarely have good things to say about Best Buy.

I’m not going to start now, either.

I purchased a 32″ LCD television from Best Buy many weeks ago. Best Buy offers a $10 subscription to a one-year loyalty plan that gives you points per purchase when you shop there. These points can be turned into gift certificates for the store.

So, after many weeks of waiting, the sizable chunk of points accrued from my big purchase ceased to be “pending” and were convertible to reward certificates, according to an E-Mail BBY sent to me. I eagerly loaded the page in Firefox to print out those certificates and then I got screwed.

It seems their printing mechanism only works in IE. They make note of this in tiny print below a rather noticeable, yellow button that blithely encourages you to proceed with printing.

Anyone who has attended a few days of even the most rudimentary web development classes would be able to disable that button and show an alert to users browsing with Firefox. Best Buy, on the other hand, makes the user think everything is working fine. When the user discovers that not to be the case, it’s too late — you only get two shots at printing your certificate and it has to happen from the same browser.

I have to wait at least a month before Best Buy will let me print the certificate again, according to their telephone support.

So awesome. The process doesn’t feel all that polished and I’m not inclined to continue paying the annual $10 fee.”

Comments

1. In fairness to Best Buy, I should note that I got a letter from them this morning indicating their loyalty program is now free. They even offered a $10 coupon to make amends for charging me for it a few months back. Which is kind of stand-up of them.

They still suck, though.

2. mschlock says:

I got their $10 coupon too (bought a TV, which was worth $50 in certificates, so it sort of made sense to join their rewards program for $10).

I did change the preference to “Receive certificates via U.S. Mail” — not sure if this is any faster, but at least they won’t get eaten by the junk filters or the Internets.

3. Why would they limit the printing of the certificate?

Doesn’t it have a serial number or barcode or something…What’s the purpose of limiting the print function? Or could you print two and use them both?

4. homerjay says:

Or you could just photocopy them.

5. crayonshinobi, no kidding. You’d think it’d be a pretty simple matter to disable the serial number and issue a new one. I was pretty annoyed to discover that purely electronic certificates take a month to replace.

Maybe they have to harvest more 1s and 0s.

6. scoobydoo says:

This isn’t Bestbuy; it is PostPublisher, a third party BestBuy uses to distribute their coupons.

I agree though that the systems they use is insane. They shouldn’t care how many times you print it; once scanned the coupon is invalidated anyway.

7. Why would someone make a site design that only works with IE!! I don’t think anyone actually uses it anymore…

8. hyperboles says:

Unfortunately, a lot of people still use it. I usually just print my coupons out at work, while muttering curses to Best Buy under my breath.

I did the same thing that Danilo did, for my first high dollar coupons. It was so frustrating, and that was over a year ago. You think that they wold have corrected the issue by now.

9. Demingite says:

I avoid Best Buy because of the way they mercilessly force employees to push extended service plans which (1) means Best Buy doesn’t stand behind the products they sell, and (2) represents “free money” to Best Buy and money down the drain for most customers most of the time. And employees, understandably, are demoralized by having to push these things. It’s like Best Buy and AOL have emulated each other’s policies of attempting to manipulate ill-gotten extra money out of customers instead of increasing profits by increasing quality.

It’s been years since I even visited Best Buy’s website. The last time — and it’s not a coincidence that it was the last time — I got a screen saying cookies were required to even get on the regular front page! So they demand to track you even to make a casual visit. That tells me something about Best Buy’s mentality.

10. HawkWolf says:

Best Buy? Worst Ripoff.

11. mistress smarty says:

Great Firefox Extensions: IE View and IE Tab.

12. Fire the developer who insists on coding for a one platform/one browser world. This isn’t 2001 anymore, and while most people do still use Internet Exploder (Now with more exploits!), there’s simply no excuse for any company with an online presence to code specifically for it to the exclusion of all other browsers.

13. Whoa, thanks for that tip, mistress smarty. Very handy tool. I’m not sure how I lived without this at work.