Everyone’s Already Eating A Fourthmeal!

Under fire from their bizarre ‘Fourth Meal’ campaign, Taco Bell has taken an odd defensive tact. Instead of claiming that they invented the fourth meal (a midnight burrito gorge fest, scheduled between dinner and breakfast to help you get through that calorically taxing ‘sleepytime’ period of the day), Taco Bell explains…

The ‘Fourthmeal’ campaign is not encouraging people to eat a literal fourth meal. It is actually branding a meal that people are already eating.

Okay, everyone, hands up. Who’s already eating a fourth meal? Fatties, shut up, you’ll skew the results.

Fast food companies need to stop going on the defensive and offering forth as justification such weasely, semantic retorts for encouraging obesity in their customers. Instead, they should look detractors straight in the eye, maybe get a flag to wave patriotically behind them and say: “This is a free country. Health care is not socialized. People in this country are living longer, healthier lives than at any other time in the history of the earth. People can eat whatever the fuck they want, when they want and in any absurd volume they want, and there’s nothing you anti-capitalist hippy pansies can do about it.” Because at least that’s all true, as opposed to the mythical ‘fourth meal’.

“The ‘Fourthmeal’ Campaign Is Not Encouraging People to Eat a Literal Fourth Meal” [Media Orchard]

Comments

1. I know plenty of people who eat a fourth meal. They’re my fellow college students, many of whom need some extra callories to get them through the all-too-frequent all-nighters.

2. Mary Marsala with Fries says:

College students usually aren’t eating three *regular* meals; they’re almost always skipping one or more of the usual three and compensating with night-time snacking or meals.

Being blessed with residence in the fattest state in the union as I am, I did not find amusing the big signs suggesting that a Fourth Meal was the answer to all one’s woes (but apparently not actually suggesting that one should *eat* a fourth meal, so now I’m not sure what they want us to do with it).

This would fall under “Exactly the opposite of helpful”, I think. Not that I mean to blame Taco Hell for the fact that people will eat fast food in the middle of the night if allowed, but can we PLEASE let it remain socially unacceptable at least??

3. mark duffy says:

If I was White Castle’s marketing VP, I’d intro the Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh Meals.

4. Paul D says:

The ‘Fourthmeal’ campaign is not encouraging people to eat a literal
    fourth meal. It is actually branding a meal that people are already
    eating.

Oh, well, carry on then.

(as if THAT makes it okay)

5. konstantConsumer says:

jesus people. anything over one meal, consisting entirely of celery and diet coke, and you are showing a severe lack of self esteem.

6. Ishmael says:

BMI 25, and I eat 4 times a day. Granted, I eat like a bird, and it’s not usually Taco Bell, but I do it. Just call me a Hobbitt….

I personally thought that their “Fourth Meal” promotion thing was kind of funny.

7. AcidReign says:

…..I eat about 5 meals per day on my off-days. Breakfast at 9:00, lunch at 12, afternoon snack at 4:00, dinner at 7:00, and massive junk-food chip binge at 10:00. If I stay up late, I might make a sandwich at 1:00 AM, too.

…..On work days, I have breakfast at 5:30 AM, maybe eat an apple or some grapes on the run during the day, and thus starved, I inhale a massive three plate dinner at 9:00 PM.

8. SpecialK says:

All of the diets put out by nutritionists suggest eating five or six meals a day. Granted, none of those five or six meals involve trips to Taco Bell, but still.

At anyrate, you should seriously consider putting this on a T-shirt.

I’d buy it.

9. AcilletaM says:

Actually, we do pay through copays, deductables, and higher insurance premiums.

10. I must say, their spicy chicken crunchwrap supreme is pretty tasty.

11. Ben Popken says:

Quid writes:

“In your libertarian enthusiasm you claim that, “This is a free country. Health care is not socialized. People in this country are living longer, healthier lives than at any other time in the history of the earth.” All of these claims are, at best, debatable. Quite apart from the Bush administration having considerable curtailed our liberties, Americans are not currently the world’s healthiest people. We have higher infant mortality, shorter life spans, and higher rates of a number of diseases than many industrialized nations. Medicine is not yet completely socialized but it will be as more and more folks get sicker and fewer and fewer private business want to carry the cost. In any case, whether medicine is socialized or not is irrelevant to an argument that we are free to eat as and as much as we can afford.”

12. HaxRomana says:

Not everyone is on a traditional 9-to-5 schedule. When I work the night
    shift at work, which ends at 1AM, I usually end up eating four meals.
    For the sake of example, say I wake up at eight and eat a small
    breakfast, a small lunch at noon, dinner at five or six (depending on
    when my shift starts), and a small auxilary dinner or a large snack at
    about ten.

For those of us who are up for unusually long hours, it’s not at all
    unreasonable to eat more than three meals…should any of those meals
    include Taco Bell? Probably not…but oh well.