Welcome to The Butter Trough!

In a delicious confluence of form and function, The Butter Trough of Atlanta, GA is the world’s first fully advertising supported restaurant.

The bread is free. The tea is free. The superheated molten butter is free. All the while, ads play from tabletop speakers, TV sets and the scattered “butter trough multimedia displays.”

Don’t miss the kids’ butter-skimming contests.

“Twice hourly, the supply of butter in The Butter Trough is refilled,” boasts the website. “For your enjoyment, our farm clad employees slop the super heated butter into the butter trough so that you can enjoy it at its most liquid consistency. You are encouraged to bring your ButterSkimmer

brand Butter cup to the trough and Dip In!”

A recent visitor noted that though it had a 60 foot trough, he doesn’t know if he’ll go back, “the other customers were very.. strange.. “

The only question is, will the ads play in our coronaries subsidize the cost of the bypass?

The Butter Trough (Thanks to Amy!)

Comments

1. Hawkins says:

Um… this is a joke.

From the free food, to the bi-hourly butter “slopping” by Farmer Bob, or the kids butter-skimming contests there is something for everyone at The Butter Trough.

It can’t possibly be real.

2. bambino says:

Honestly, I’m speechless.

3. etinterrapax says:

For customer appeal, “Butter Trough” resonates on the same level as “Dress Barn.” They should fire their marketing staff. In this case, it’s rather ironic that the thing is powered by advertising, though. Let’s hope it’s better advertising than what’s supposed to get you in the door!

4. Pelagius says:
  5. That’s got to be a joke. There’s no street address.

Weird.

6. MrEleganza says:

What do you mean, there’s no street address?

“Also, who would go to a restaurant where the only things on the menu are hot melted butter, bread and breadsticks, and tea?”

What do you want, for free?

I like this idea. I just wonder how long it becomes essentially a squat for the homeless. Not that that’d stop me from going.

7. TedSez says:

While this sounds kind of atrocious, it’s not that much more advertising than you’d be exposed to on an average visit to The Cheesecake Factory. (And the food may actually be healthier.)

8. Lesley says:

I had a hard time believing this was true, but it appears legit (I also saw the craigslist ad and there’s also information on it on accessatlanta.com).

As for the question of who would go…it’s located near Georgia Tech; when I was in college, this would have been my heaven (oh, to have the metabolism of an 18-year-old again).

9. gte910h says:

I live near there, as do several of my friends. I’ll ask them to check it out, or try myself.

–Michael

10. Falconfire says:

healthier than what? All they even serve IS bread and butter…. oh and tea.