Tide Downsizes, Charges Same Price

New boxes of Tide have 17 oz less than before, yet consumers are asked to pay the same amount. But is it really an outrage?

Tide customer service says, “By removing non-necessary materials in the manufacturing
process, we improved the solubility and improved the cleaning performance.”

And you know what? They’re right.

Traditionally, American boxes of detergent were the SUVs of the laundry room: large, inefficient and gussied up with marketing gimmickry. In contrast, Europeans have enjoyed smaller, cheaper and more cost-effective cars, er, cleaning agents.

Tide is just removing the unnecessary fillers used to “cut” its cleaning agent to make it look like there was more of it. The recommended fill line on the supplied cup went down as well. The 40 uses in the upper right hand corner still holds true.

Comments

1. Papercutninja says:

I believe the interstate trucking costs are based on weight, not on volume.

2. bambino says:

If it’s true, great. If it’s not, I’m switching.

3. Kornkob says:

“So then, if they’re that concerned about efficiency, why is the box the same size?”

Because consumers are stupid and think ‘bigger package is better’. There’s a lot of packaging waste on the shelves because consumers don’t look at the weight or volume of the product they buy.

4. Papercutninja says:

Crap. Kornkob gave the better answer.

5. Morton Fox says:

Even though the fill line on the cup went down proportionately, I can’t help feeling that this is a shell game that will ultimately lead to stealth inflation. Look at what they did to ice cream, which now comes in 1.75-qt tubs instead of half-gallon tubs.

6. I find it funny you used the drug reference, ‘cut’, for this post.

‘All’ has this detergent that is 3 times concentrated, and dag nabbit, I still have some of the soap left!

Even after using it every week, and I bought it three months ago.

7. windowseat says:

I’ve noticed the ginormous containers of liquid laundry soap at places like Sam’s that hold enough for 100 washes are being downsized to way smaller containers as well. I imagine shipping all that water was getting expensive.

8. JMC says:

Have you opened a bag of potato chips lately? It’s all about shelf presence, baby. Don’t give me no jibba jabba about “settling during shipment”. If the snack companies wanted to, they could easily “pre-settle” the chips before sealing the bag.

9. bambino says:

“Look at what they did to ice cream, which now comes in 1.75-qt tubs instead of half-gallon tubs.”

Not with Blue Bell! Or is that just a Texas thing & I don’t know it?

10. SpecialK says:

1. Wal-Mart is actually forcing a lot of its consumer package good suppliers to cut back on packaging and go green (sure it’s a pr play, but what the hell)
    2. As far as the box staying the same size, it might be more costly to chuck all the old boxes or to re-jigger the assembly line.
    3. Cereal cos. are about to do the same thing… but in that case you ARE getting less for your money. It’s not like the fill-line on your bowl is going to go down.

11. GenXCub says:

When was the last time you guys actually used the lines on the measuring cup anyway? You scoop what looks right and you let fly. I think this is what they’re banking on.

12. AcidReign says:

…..Where I live, in the South, everything from the dirt to the lakes and reservoirs are sitting on a bed of limestone. The water’s pretty soft (CaCO3) in most areas. Put a full cup of liquid Tide in your laundry, and you’ll be an itchin,’ peelin’ rednek!

…..Nice to get the heads up to put in less, though. I like the “ginormous” Sam’s Club Tide because I can pour it from the handy spigot without spilling…

13. Tommi says:

I’m with you guys here but…

“In contrast, Europeans have enjoyed smaller, cheaper and more cost-effective cars, er, cleaning agents.”

Been living in Europe for almost two decades and they are only one or two points behind us Americans in excess and exuberance. Europe has nothing worth noting as being more effective or efficient in the way they live. If anything, they have simply faced realities – that Americans won’t face – because of their relatively tight and limited environment. In a world of living via the lowest common denominator – in all aspects of life – I cannot find anything in Europe that deserves praise!
    -tgs-

14. Anonymous says:

Looked at a “gallon” of paint recently? Some brands are now 3 5/8 quarts.

15. TPA says:

I’ll disagree with Tommi on this one. I have a European washer & dryer I imported to avoid paying the riduclous premiums charged by US appliance dealers on Euro appliances. My dryer cost me $300 after import fees, and the same one at my local appliance shop sells for $850. At any rate, it only uses 10-14 gallons per load, uses only 2 tbsp of detergent per load, AND it gets my clothes cleaner without using harsh chemicals AND it doesn’t beat up the clothes as much. Compare this to the 50-60 gallons + cups of detergent the American-style washer used, AND it couldn’t get my labcoat clean.

The Euros are indeed facing the facts and are taking action because of it. America still is very much in denial about many things, especially resources. With oil reserves going down and gas prices going up, we’re about the only country that’d even dare still come out with new SUVs (or yank tanks, as they’re affectionately called across the pond.)