Cingular Sics Debt Collectors On Innocent Customer

An AT&T customer, Chris upgraded his plan after the merger with Cinuglar. A week later, Cingular sent him a bill for $300, an “early termination fee.” Welcome to the neighborhood, indeed.

After 2 weeks of phone negotiations, Cingular agreed to waive the fee. They also sent Chris a $100 bill for service, the monthly amount Chris expected to pay. He paid the bill. However, during the wranglings, Cingular turned over his account to a collection agency.

Despite being told the bill was paid, the agency has been phoning Chris in threatening tones for the past two months. Chris is on his third attempt at trying to get Cingular to call their dogs off. “It appears that once unleashed, their collection agency is not controllable,” he writes.

Chris plans on joining the class-action lawsuit against Cingular.

Hey Chris, check out our posts (1 and 2) about dealing with debt collection agencies. If Cingular won’t put Fido down, maybe you can.

Comments

1. WMeredith says:

Wal-Mart

2. Pelagius says:

Has Cingular sold the debt to said collection agency? I went through something similar with a wretched credit card company (WFNNB – don’t ever use them!!). I’d paid the company, but the collectors kept calling. WFNNB claimed they couldn’t do anything about the sharks as they’d sold the debt. Finally got them to call the dogs off by alerting the BBB and attorney generals offices of the states where WFNNB and the collection agency were headquartered. Needless to say – document all calls, keep copies of all correspondence.

3. The Reviewer says:

Is it smart to be joining the class action lawsuit? This seems a little bit bigger of an issue. If you join the class, you will not be able to sue, later if you need to.

4. DeeJayQueue says:

if a company sells your debt to a collection agency, for god’s sake, don’t pay the company! They’ll be more than happy to take your money and then lose it in the scrooge mcduck style safe they have full of shattered dreams and gold dubloons. If you get a call from a collection agency, that means that your balance has been paid to the company, and now you owe the agency money. Pay them and they usually stop calling you.

5. Pelagius says:

Perhaps a chronology is in order:
    1. WFNNB thinks I owe them money
    2. Argue with WFNNB until a compromise is reached to get them off my back
    3. Send WFNNB check; WFNNB cashes check but fails to log this
    4. WFNNB sells debt to collection agency and the calls start..
    Moral of the story being that it did turn out the collection agency was “controllable” once I brought the AGs into the picture.

6. Ishmael says:

See? This is what I get for reading from top to bottom. Now I understand WMeredith’s post, and I concur:

Walmart

7. Falconfire says:

This happened to me with my school bills as well. My school screwed up my loan info. I got in contact with them to sort it out and it was but in the time between all this they had sold the debt to a collection agency (in Penn no less since its illegal in NJ to run a collection agency) So even though everything was sorted out I still got harrased and threatened by the agency that they would withhold my diploma (they didnt :p)
    as well as have it show up on my credit report (its hasnt yet in 3 years)