Bank of America Lies and Lies and Lies

There’s few things more annoying than losing one’s wallet, but Matt discovered one of them.

Having misplaced his purse himself, Matt requested a new debit card from Bank of America (BofA). On Saturday he called BofA and was told a new one would be sent via DHL to his office by Wednesday.

The card doesn’t show. When Matt calls back, he finds out the new card request was never put in the system.

This is but the first of many broken promises and outright lies…

Matt writes:

“Bank of America has always been good to me. So, when I lost my wallet on the 16th I though to myself “No problem, I’ll just report my card stolen and they will get me a new one middle of next week”.

So, I call up, and the Saturday representative assures me that he’s closed the account, and is having a new one DHL’d to me at my office by Wednesday. “Great”, I say, and hang-up to continue with my weekend.

Wednesday rolls around. No card by 4pm, after our regular DHL dropoff. I call up, and reach the Security department again, this time speaking with a Manager named Samuel Chung. He searches around for a while, and assures me that its been sent out. I ask him to search a bit more, and he discovers that, in fact, no request for a new card was ever made. Strange, because I can imagine very few instances in which I would want a credit line that I cannot use. Samuel issues the request for a new card to be overnight DHL’d to my office address (so that I can sign for it) and assures me it will be there by Friday. Great, I say, and hang-up.

Friday rolls around, and at 4pm I again call BofA Security to inquire as to the status. The manager there, Tom Jordan, say it was sent out on the 19th (Wed), but cannot provide a tracking number because it has not yet populated in his system. I told him that such a response was unacceptable, and that I needed a card ASAP. He promised to personally contact DHL and have the card rerouted to my office for delivery Monday morning (the 24th).

Monday afternoon at 4pm rolls around, and I still have no card. We are on Day 8 and call #4, for those counting. I call back in, and speak with a rep named ‘Julius’ in the security department, who assures me that there is no Tom Jordan and that my card was sent to Tacoma, WA this morning. I have not lived in Tacoma for over 2.5 years. I ask to speak with Tom again, and request that he look him up in the company directory:

Me: “I’m sure you have a company directory, surely he is in there”.
Julian: “We have no company directory”
Me: “None?”
Julian: “No, sir”
Me: So, you can’t tell who your mamager’s manager is either then, can you? How do you get a hold of HR without a directory?’.
Julian: “Please hold, sir”………
Julian: ” Sir, I’ve managed to find Tom Jordan”.

Tom Jordan joins me on the line, and assures me that he made that request for the package. I responded that i would like a tracking #, and I would like him to conference in DHL to prove where it was delivered to.

Finally, we get DHL on the line, and the rep confirms that there was a delivery attempt made today at my HOME address, where I specifically asked that no such attempt be made, as I would not be home to sign for it. He also has no record of an attempt to change the delivery address to my office.

Finally we get DHL to agree to hold the package for me at their local depot, so I get to take time off from work to pick up my card, which should have been delivered almost a week ago.

At this point I have decided to transfer what little balance I have to a card with a different bank, because I am unable to trust Bank of America to help me when I need it.”

Comments

1. Falconfire says:

wow that sucks but I got to say i have had nothing but praise for BoA. They fixed a issue I had where 100 dollars went missing in my account in little less than a hour from when I called to when they put the money back in even before they had begun the investigation to figure out how 100 dollars could have been double pulled out from my debit card (seemed the computer was screwy on the ATM)

2. Indeed, Falconfire. I’m mystified by the occasional lamentations leveled at BofA on Consumerist. In my experience, they have always been helpful, polite and effective in resolving my issues — both in-branch and especially on the phone. Maybe I’ve just been lucky.

3. Vinny says:

I have to say, I just recently had my BOA debit card compromised, and they were nothing but helpful on the phone. I’ve been with BOA since they were Fleet in NYC, and I’ve had nothing but awesome experiences with them on every single phone call.

So happy, I’ve been, that I’ve gotten most of my family to join me, and they’re equally happy.

No sir, I don’t believe this experience is indicative in any way of Bank of America’s policies or general attitude, and while I don’t doubt the experience happened, I don’t think it’s the symbol of the company it’s being made to be.

4. JMC says:

When I lost my Bank of America debit card, I called them about getting it replaced, and they told me it would take 4 or 5 days (I think).

However, they then told me that if I went to an actual physical branch, I could have one immediately. So, I did. I went in and walked out with a temporary ATM card.

I’ve been with Bank of America for years (well, with companies that they’ve acquired – I’ve had the same account number with 4 different banks!) and I’ve generally found them to be quite good.

My main complaint was that they killed off the excellent Fleet home banking web site for a far more complicated and confusing (though still decent) system.

5. stubar says:

I’ve been generally pleased with bank of america, except for one horrible incident. In late 2003, my card was unknowingly stolen and $300 was spent before I called them and cancelled. They were quite helpful (at first) and refunded me the money. Case closed, or so I thought. Fast forward a few months – I’m living in Rome and terribly broke (effing euro!). I check my online statement and see that the refunded money had been taken back. I called them and was told that since the thief signed the receipt(!) it was therefore a verified transaction. Of course they signed the damn receipt!!! I argued and argued, but I got nothing out of it but horrible international charges on my cell bill. Anyway, just wanted to vent – it still pisses me off to this day.

6. kimdog says:

I had the same issue with Citibank recently. But worse that just not
    sending me a new card, they didn’t even cancel the one I reported lost!
    So for a full week my lost card was floating around with the potential
    for someone to empty my account. I went throught the roof! Customer
    service was excellent, and I was Fed Exed a new card overnight.

7. Falconfire says:

Yeah I ended up at BoA because of bank changes (went from Summit to Fleet to BoA) of the three Fleet was the best IMHO, but BoA has been very good to me.

8. Miguel Valdespino says:

I have little but Scorn for BofA as well. This is after not getting them to set up overdraft protection on my account after three tries. This should be something simple. Now I’m with Wescom credit union and much happier.

9. KAIZEN says:

I used to work for BofA. This, I must say, is not all that incommon of an experience. I would say that 98% of the time that everything goes through smoothly, however 98% of 40,000,000 customers is still 800,000 people who could get srewed. Mind you that not all 40,000,000 customers will call in to get a card replaced, but even say that 40,000 people call in, about 800 people are gonna get crap customer service like Matt. I have always had good experiences, but obviously with so many customers mistakes will happen. Oddly enough they do operate under the principles of Six Sigma, which this is not even remotely close to….

10. Greyseeker says:

HATE BoA. Went to a branch in Long Beach to cash some American Express travellers checks for $50. American Freakin’ Express.

“Uh, Sir, do you have an account here??? No?? Well, I’m sorry – we can’t cash them for you….”

Why did they think that I would have an account there if I want to cash travellers checks? Nice policy…

11. glen says:

When I moved to this country, the relocators took me to BoA and told me to sign up – in the process, they said “we need to take your photo for your debit card”, so they took the photo using their cameras and all seemed well.

Two weeks of no debit card later, I get a letter saying “the photo you provided us with wasn’t good enough, please send us another one”. I rang up and told them how daft this was, and they agreed that perhaps I didn’t need a photo-protected card, and they would send me my cards in short order.

Two weeks later, my father, back in Australia tells me that he’s received debit cards from BoA. I ring up BoA, they tell me that that’s the address I’d given them (yet they still sent the bad photo notice to the right address) and that they would update my details and send me the cards.

Two weeks later, my father, back in Australia tells me that he’s received yet more debit cards from BoA. By this time I’m pretty sick of not being able to pay for things, so I call up BoA and complain.

I finally get the cards three weeks later. Six months on, they’re still sending all my credit card statements to Australia. In addition to the pain I had to go through getting an SSN, this was not a happy introduction to the backwards backwards world of American banking.

12. MsDownshift says:

BoA sucks! They cashed a counterfeit cashier’s check that was drawn on their own bank. We ended up in court with the prosecuting attorney telling the judge we had written bad checks. We were not given fair representation and was not allowed to speak. Needless to say BoA now has a $15,000 judgement against us. They broke US banking laws and I wrote to the judge to prove to him what happened and the response was it was too late the judgement was final!

13. Boyd says:

Bank of America does not work with individuals. My wife and I set up a Debt Management Plan with Consumer Credit Counselors. We have 12 cards. All the companies were very compasionte and worked with Consumer Credit to lower our payments and interest. ALL BUT BANK OF AMERICA!. They would rather see my card go to collections than work with us. All I ask is let us pay our bill as they once promised me I could, but they didn’t bill me, so now it is going to go to collections. ALL BECAUSE THEY WON’T WORK WITH CONSUMER CREDIT COUNSELORS!
    Citi Bank, Discover, Our Master Cards, and American Express ALL were compasionte and carrying. They worked with us and Consumer Credit to let us pay our bills. I HIGHLY RECOMEND THAT YOU DO NOT EVER WORK WITH BANK OF AMERICA in any way. I blame Ken Lewis and his mis-managment of this poorly run company.

email me and I will post your complaints on a website at http://www.moneydowns.com THIS IS A VERY BAD COMPANY, THAT TREATS MANY PEOPLE POORLY!

14. coffeeboy says:

Oh, I agree! I experienced the EXCACT same problem!!!! We went on a Debt Managment Program and they used the excuse that my personal card, was used for business, and were the only card that wouldn’t work with us! they are the dark side of the credit card industry. They are the Darth Vader.ALL THEY WANT IS TO CHARGE 30% INTEREST, AND DESTROY THE LITTLE GUY. DO NOT GET A BANK OF AMERICA CREDIT CARD! We have several cards. All the other companies worked with us. KEN LEWIS HATES THE MIDDLE CLASS! PLEASE… get any credit card out there, BUT the Bank of America Card. They will crush you!

15. Anonymous says:

I’ve always been happy with BofA until recently. I moved and filed a change of address with the Post Office, as well as on the back of my payment slip. Then no bill came. I tried to log on my due date and pay the bill anyway but the system would not let me make a payment. When I called to ask why I was “not authorized” to make an online payment on my own account, they told me that my payment was overdue and that I owed them $39.00 in late fees and a $15.00 charge for a phone payment. They had not only failed to mail my bill, but moved my payment date forward. Of course, In “they system” they had mailed the payment and they were willing “as a courtesy” to waive the phone payment fee, but I would have to pay the late fee because I “was late”.

Needless to say, I will pay off my credit card with them in full as promptly as possible because the $1,600 I owe them is far too little for them to loose out on. They stole billions from us in collective late fees and random due date changes and increased APR on random late fees, then took billions more in taxpayer funds, and it’s never enough.

At least they were willing to give you their last name. Everyone I spoke to refused to give their last names. I asked to speak with a manager, they took my number, and no manager ever called. I wrote to customer service and they “decided” that the late fee was warranted because I was “late” and their system says they “sent my bill”.

I’ve been a happy customer for 5 years, but not anymore. They will never make another dime from me and I will spend the rest of my life making sure no one I know uses their “services”.