Drove My Chevy to the Levy But The Dealer Left Me Dry

Unlike Mark’s Prius story, there’s no confusion in this truck twister from Tennessee. Except, how did the dealership think they would get away with it?

After a guy drives his new truck from the Bill Heard dealership home, he gets a call from the salesman, saying he got too good a deal. They want him to pay $10,000 more dollars. He refused. In the middle of the night, the dealership towed it back to the lot and put it back up for sale.

Watch the TV report by going here and clicking the “Dealership Doesn’t Like Deal, Takes Car Back” on the top right. (Note to local TV stations: either distribute video players or make your newsfeeds easier to steal and upload. Seriously, it’s better for everyone.)

The story is so good, the general manager of a competing TV station blogged about it.

Tennessee’s Better Business Bureau says this is par for the course. The hundreds of complaints they’ve received against Bill Heard, “The World’s Largest Chevy Retailer,” are far more than any other area dealer. And most of them are unresolved.

How did the dealership defend their actions? We’ll let the statements they gave police and News5, after the jump, speak for themselves…

Statement given to the police:

toyota-allegation.jpg

Statement given NewsChannel5:

statementpage1.jpg

statementpage2.jpg

(Thanks to Aaron!)

Comments

1. Hmm. Tough choice. Swallow a $10,000 loss or incur tens of thousands of dollars in damage to your reputation.

Say. That’s not actually all that tough.

2. Marcus says:

I dont know… sounds like the dealer might not be the most culpable person here. It seems as though the customer really was trying to “pull a fast one,” (which is an odd phrase to use in an official statement.) Who low-balls by 10,000 dollars, even if its just for negotiation? Something fishy is going on here, and I’m not so sure that we should be hating on Bill Heard… not for anything other than those commercials… god, those are annoying. Anyway–the thing that concerns me is that Heard reportedly has a reputation of situations similar to this one? I dont think we have the full story, here.

3. WMeredith says:

Marcus, I’ve had a car dealer low-ball me by ten grand on a trade-in.

I gurantee if the mistake was made in the other direction, no action would’ve been taken by the dealership.

4. Falconfire says:

I wonder how much they paid for that car. I bet you it was no where near the 10k loss they claimed.

5. DeafLEGO says:

Full story or not, the “rookie” salesperson would not have been the final person to sign or approve the loan therefore someone with experience was involved. They signed the deal and the guy was able to leave the dealer’s lot. The dealer knew the salesperson is a rookie therefore they need to watch him closely… Not Mr. K’s fault they screwed up here. Why is it Mr. K’s fault that the stupid BIGGEST FUCKING CHEVY DEALER had a wrong stock number on the truck or in the computer? How many times has this dealer screwed the customers? I am sure they could take their loss and make up that $10K very easily screwing someone else but NO they have to screw each and every one of their customers.

6. RandomHookup says:

The whole thing sounds quite fishy, especially the very post-dated check. It’s possible that may void the deal (still makes the dealer stupid on many fronts).

7. gte910h says:

I would say the fact the dealership got a trade in worth 14k in
    addition to his 7500, means they did in fact not make a mistake, at
    least not one that they can recoup in this manner. I’d love to see how
    this turns out in court.

I doubt the gentleman was pulling a “fast one” Sounds like he added up the two values and saw they were about the same.

–Michael

8. markweeble says:

My say on this that the dealership screwed up when they had the wrong
    stock number. If the deal was signed, also a trade in, and a post dated
    check for the amount of $7500 then the deal should have gone thru.

9. Ben Popken says:

Watch the video. One of their salespeople looks like an 18 year old girl. Wonder if the salekid’s voice cracked when he phoned the complainant for $10,000.

10. TedSez says:

According to the dealer’s statement, “Bill Heard Chevrolet had mistakenly sold Mr. Kieselhorst a vehicle for over $10,000 less than the Blue Book value — and almost $10,000 less than Bill Heard Chevrolet’s cost.”

If this were true, it would mean that the dealership had paid the full Blue Book value on a car they expected to resell — something that has never happened in history. Dealers buy used cars at auction for pennies on the dollar (or take them as trade-ins for a higher fraction of their sales value in exchange for selling you a new car). This is what makes selling used cars so hugely profitable.

I guess it’s no surprise that the thieves at this dealership are liars as well.

11. markweeble says:

DeafLEGO:

Excellent commentary! My Toyota problems are pursunant to a dealership
    that just wouldn’t deal. Their exact stature was that the deal is
    binding while the INK is still drying. The man had more than 1 agent of
    Chevy consent to the contract Mr.K signed. If I have people telling me
    I’m a fool for leaving the parking lot than Mr.K is a genius! The
    pathetic dealership cannot have it BOTH WAYS! If I am completely
    accountable for any debit incurred by signing paperwork and taking
    posession of a car then the dealership should also GROW UP AND LEARN
    FROM THEIR MISTAKES. This guy left the lot and asumed ownership. The
    dealership tresspassed then stole from him. Mr. K the very best of luck
    with your battle!

12. Ben Popken says:

Arthur writes:

“The guy paid with a check that couldn’t be cashed until July 23rd! (according to the dealer’s statement). Sounds like the customer was up to something fishy.

From the “above the fold” part of the story I thought the dealer’s action was outrageous, after reading the details it looks a lot murkier and I’m leaning in the dealer’s favor.”

13. Hawkins says:

The TV station is to be commended for showing some spine: local car dealerships are usually the biggest advertisers.

14. John Stracke says:

Michael wrote:

I would say the fact the dealership got a trade in worth 14k in addition to his 7500,

Look again. The Mercedes was worth $14,000, but the guy still owed $14,700 on it, meaning it was actually worth -$700.

15. aka Cat says:

We’ve only heard the dealership’s side of the story, and apparently this particular dealership is known to lie.

Was the check for $8100 really postdated? What dealership would take a check postdated *three weeks*? I bet it’s awfully easy to make a ‘2’ into a ’23’. Why would they do that? As ‘proof’ that the customer was trying to pull a fast one.

So they screwed up, and instead of soaking the customer for a $4400 profit, they found out that they were out $10k. Poor babies. Until I hear more, I’m going to side with the consumer.

16. Smoking Pope says:

Sorry, the dealership should eat the $10K for two reasons.

First of all, the post-dated check shouldn’t matter. They accepted it as payment, and as long as it clears on the 23rd, it’s good. Besides that, all the fuck-ups are on their end.

The second reason is that massive negative publicity on this could end up costing them 10 times this amount in the long run. The smart thing to do is cut their losses.

And don’t think this one dissatisfied customer can’t cost them a lot of money. I once watched a guy slowly force a dealership to sell. He picketed them every weekend for months on end. Absolutely KILLED their business.

17. markweeble says:

Smoking Pope:

What state did you saw a person picketed the dealership. I currently
    have a beef with Toyota. My story was put out on Monday and yesterday
    there was an update. If you have anymore information can you please
    post or email me at macweeble@insightbb.com?

Thanks

18. imez_ru2 says:

If the vehicle was stocked in inproperly then the stock number the dealer used would not match the vin# on the vehicle the customer had so the sale would be void. The customer’s paperwork would have a different vin# on it than the actual vehicle

19. jermscentral says:

I used to work at the Best Buy across the street from the Nashville (Antioch), TN, Bill Heard Chevrolet – my manager warned me that there would be picketers every couple of months.

Since then (within the last two months), Bill Heard was bought out by a place called Auto Fair Chevrolet, and they fired just about everyone that worked for Bill Heard – managers and all. The new owner was on the news discussing the change, and he knew it would be hard after seeing all of the problems associated with Bill Heard, but he is trying to fix the situation and bring a good reputation back to the dealership.

20. econobiker says:

Bill Heard dealerships- R.I.P. Sept. 2008- completely shut down. (The Nashville location closed July 2007 like jermscentral said)