Nurse-In Planned at Victoria’s Secret

In protest of Victoria’s Secret employees acting like boobs, a national protest plans to whip out theirs.

Rebecca Cook of Wisconsin wanted to breast-feed her child in the store’s dressing room but when one wasn’t available, prepared to do so on the store floor. An employee asked her to leave.

“Cook said the store manager told her the employee probably thought the ‘sight of her breasts might offend a customer,’ ” reported the Citizen-Times.

A similar incident occurred in Massachusetts.

In retaliation, the two mothers have planned national nurse-ins at Victoria’s Secrets across the country. The goal, they say, is not to defame the lingerie seller but bring about public awareness of the right to breast-feed in public.

Corporate HQ said the incidents were unfortunate and against company policy.

This jaded reporter has but one thing to say:

Boobies!

Comments

1. Fancy Pants says:

I wouldn’t sit on the floor of a Vicky’s and eat a sandwich. There’s a difference between accomodating a customer and allowing them to do whatever they want.

2. SpecialK says:

I don’t think it’s the sight of A breast… I think it’s the sight of a breast with a small mammal attached to it making slurping noises. Seriously, if you have a baby of breast-feeding age, can’t you time your trips to Victoria Secret so they don’t happen during feeding time? Have some f-cking courtesy, for Christ’s sake.

She’s probably the sort of woman who brings her baby to the movie theater and then screams at the manager because another patron shooshed her.

3. “I find it especially absurd that Victoria’s Secret of all places is freaking out about exposed breasts, since it’s pretty much what they sell,” said Tali Branco, 21, of North Asheville, mother of a 6-month-old. “You see more in their magazines and store windows than you do when a mother nurses.”

One word: nipples

4. sp3nc3 says:

I really think that the issue the clerk had was more with the fact that Ms. Cook chose to breastfeed wherever she saw fit than it was with the fact that she chose to breastfeed in public. I have the right to go to the bathroom in a public place, but when that need arises, I go to the proper place to do so rather than just dropping trou wherever I happen to be.

I’ve got no problem with the right to breastfeed in public. I DO have a problem with blatant disregard for the concept of “time and a place for everything.” The dressing room is for trying on clothes. The store floor is for people to walk. Find a bench in the mall, cover the baby with a blanket, and enjoy your bonding time with your baby.

5. PR Flack Brian says:

Well thank sweet nipple-fed jesus that these dairy cows picked something IMPORTANT to get up in arms about.

6. etinterrapax says:

This sort of incident makes all breastfeeders look bad. And I say that as a mother of a breastfeeding infant. I’d never do this. It has nothing to do with my being ashamed of what I’m doing and everything to do with there being appropriate places to do things. This wasn’t one. And frankly, I get pretty impatient with the analogies that breastfeeding militants are apt to drag out to justify what they’re doing (a common one is that they won’t do it in a bathroom because “you wouldn’t eat in a bathroom, so why do you think my baby should”). It doesn’t have to be illogical to be inappropriate. And it isn’t that hard to schedule outings around feeding times, or to go and sit in the car for fifteen minutes, for heaven’s sake. Or to pump and bring a bottle for public feedings. That’s probably the easiest solution of all.

7. homerjay says:

KICKOUT put this very simply. I’d be very surprised if there wasn’t a sign at the entrance of these stores that said “NO FOOD OR DRINK”

Who knows if that baby might detach and warm milk might squirt all over the merchandise! Who’s problem would THAT be?

8. LLH says:

AMEN etinterrapax! my mom’s a lactation consultant, a boob guru if you will, so i’ve never had a problem with breastfeeding moms as it’s the natural thing to do. i DO have problems with formula companies – they’ll raise a stink about breastfeeding when they can – and i think i smell something fishy.

9. Talk about word-of-milk advertising.

10. Update: Sadly, the pictures were all full of babies.

I’m sorry I missed all those mountain women of wealth whipping out an udder & an infant to prove their point. Damn living in NYC where people have more interesting things to protest!

If anyone’s interested, I’d also like to “bring about public awareness of the right to breast-feed in public.” Does anyone have progeny they’d like to suckle on a small herd of borrowed goats tomorrow in Union Square? Anyone else got some goats to share?

11. 2linedancers says:

Obviously most of you that are commenting do not nurse a child and could never understand what mothers who nurse go through at malls. Try to put yourself in someone else’s shoes and have some kindness. This mother is doing what’s best for her child. It is the toughest goal I’ve ever reached. My now one year old is being weaned and I’ve been in difficult situations where I’ve had no comfortable acceptable place in a mall to nurse. GOOD FOR HER! It’s not like we women whip out our private parts anywhere, we are just trying to appease our twisting, red-faced infant so we have a moment of sanity; so we can shop. Get a grip, and stop the gripe!

12. spamtasticus says:

This reminds me of the Improv Everywhere “mission” on Abercrombi and Fitch. Basically a TON of guys of all shapes and sizes (as in not all sexy studs) took their shirds off and walked into the AaF flagship store in Manhattan in just their jeans. Ironically (specially since there is a shirtless modle at the entrance 24/7) they were finally asked to leave and were even refused the purchace of shirts when they tried. Great stuff:

[improveverywhere.com]