Smile, Darn Ya, Smile! We’re Fixed!

We started another week of Consumerist blogging with a heavy heart; we were sure we were looking at a third week pregnant with the ongoing technical difficulties that we’ve come to expect from a thoroughly borked Movable Type install, miscarrying a slurry of errors for us every time we lightly pressed upon its belly to make a post.

In fact, we were so sure that the site continued to be hosed that we were five posts in before we realized that the Gawker tech shamans have apparently spent the weekend curing many of The Consumerist’s woes.

Here’s what’s fixed right now, as far as we can tell:

1) Comment links are working!
2) Read more links are working!
3) RSS feed is working!
4) Tag links are working!

In fact, as far as we can tell, all the problems that have tormented you, Joe or Jane Consumerist, over the past couple weeks have healed themselves.

If there’s anything you can see that is still broken, send us an email and we’ll pass it on to the tech team and try to come up with a work around. Not to jinx it, but as far as we can tell, it’s business as usual.

Thank Christ… also, his disciples on Earth in the Gawker Tech Team!

Comments

1. Hawkins says:

Hey! It works!

2. limiter says:

I don’t believe it.

OMGFUSCKRBUTT!!!!11!1!!!

…it works!

3. Ben Popken says:

Testing, 1, 2, yippyyiokiyay!

4. ModerateSnark says:

I watched the Consumerist problems with a sort of morbid fascination. I’m glad they appears to be resolved, but since I became somewhat obsessed with it, I’ll offer a post-mortem assessment from one reader/commenter’s perspective:

The worst persisting casualty of the Consumerist server cramps appears to be the carriage return.

We, the readers, type our fingers to the bone providing these comments in mostly gramatifically-correct and goodly-speld prose, which includes decent formatting. Sadly, many of the comments that had been “hiding” and were restored have lost all of their carriage returns in the process. Even the longest, most detailed comments were lumped into a single, monolithic paragraph.

Too bad. Starting a new line here and there aids in readability, clarity, and, yes, even comic timing in some cases.

Also, some comments that were posted Thursday afternoon and Friday seem to have been lost permanently; it was during this time that Consumerist was switching unpredictably back and forth between the old and new system, so it’s not really surprising. I may recreate a couple of my own comments that were lost and repost them this morning.

But that’s all there is for bad news.

On all other counts: Yay!

5. ModerateSnark says:

I am getting some “Failed to add new comment, please try again later!” messages.

So I’ll try again later.

But I thought I’d let you know about it.

6. Morgan says:

I’m getting black text on a black background for all the posts, so I need to highlight the page to read the articles. It’s not a fluke; I’ve tried reloading, and it’s also the same on the comments pages. You may want to look into that.

7. ModerateSnark says:

I tracked down my problem:
    You can’t put a percent sign into a comment, or you get the “Failed to add new comment, please try again later!” message.

Maybe a percent sign would be allowed inside quotes? “-No, tried it here-“

Beware when commenting about interest rates!

I’m not having Morgan’s problem, exactly, but the comment preview area does extend beyond the lighter background into the black background so I can’t see some of the text.

8. ModerateSnark says:

Also, I think plus signs get stripped out but don’t prevent comment posting. The following is supposed to say A (plus) B (plus) C (equals) D:

A B C = D

9. mschlock says:

The RSS feed links on Sage ( http://sage.mozdev.org/ — I’m using it on Firefox on a PC) are still kind of hosed.

Each post’s name is an active link. When you click on “San Fran Kills SUV With Hills,” you go here:

which unfortunately is somehow anchored to the top of the page. The San Fran item is waaaaay down the page.

Clicking a post title used to take you straight to the item’s specific page:

Woe, I can no longer easily right-click and copy the title link to IM it to Consumerist-impaired friends.

Also, on Firefox the comment preview box is stretching beyond the readable area off into the black, but that’s mostly ignorable.

10. loudguitars says:

The “full content” RSS feed is not actually showing full content, just up to the jump. Paired with the issue mschlock talked about, it’s kind of a pain in the ass for those of us who are RSS addicts.

11. kostia says:

Totally agreed. I really wish the full content feed had the jump text in it like it used to. Put banner ads in the feed if you want to. Anything to keep focus on the reader instead of the browser.

12. ModerateSnark says:

13. ModerateSnark says:

Ah, good.

The problem of the rejected % character has now been fixed. How about the plus sign? +