HOWTO: Comment on The Consumerist

New world order. Comments are messed up. There will be a new link in posts from yesterday going forward. It sits at the bottom left of the post. Click on it to make a comment. If you’re not logged in, you need to login, then go back and click the new comment link again. Sorry for the inconvenience, this should only be temporary.

———————–
Here’s how to make comments on old posts without the new comments link:

For instance, with Morning Deals roundup, right click on the post’s name and get this url:

We then “View Source” (View->Page Source or CTRL-U in Firefox). CTRL-F and search for the Morning Deals headline. Above this is the div id which looks like this:

[ div id=”morning-deals-round-up-179549″ ]

Add everything in quotes to the URL from before and get this

Type .php at the end and blammo!

You’re in comment land!

comment on this post

Comments

1. Ben Popken says:

Look, daddy, I’m a comment.

2. ModerateSnark says:

Re: Your UPDATE

Now you’re improvisin’ like a pro!

By the way, it appears the [MORE] links are all busted, too, but your comment fix will serve equally well as a [MORE] fix.

3. RandomHookup says:

Thank god… I was about to OD on my own unvented snark…

4. Jimmy M says:

Commento!

5. ModerateSnark says:

Oops… You had added two “UPDATE”s and a new comment link to this item, then, when you reworked the whole thing, you eliminated several bits of information …*hint*… including deleting the updates (discombobulating my comment above) and deleting the comment link you had added.

So I added this comment “the hard way.” So there.

Checking again… Oh, now the comment link is back. Ok.

6. Morgan says:

Hate to break it to you, but it looks like your jump code is broken as well. I can’t figure out how to read the rest of the “Man Fights Identity Thief and Wins” post; clicking on “more” brings me to the Belmon Lounge post, and going into the comments section at http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/identity-theft/man-fig… doesn’t display the part after the jump (it still has the “more” link).

7. Ben Popken says:

Yes, jump code is screwed. The identity theft letter post, I was trying to do some fancy stuff to see if I could work around that but ended up failing. It should be fixed soon but you can click here and see it first.

Which is a shame, really, because it’s a great letter.

8. ModerateSnark says:

As I’m only moderately modest, I’ll add this comment, knowing very few people will see it since the original entry is over a week old.

I the original version of this entry, Brownpop Leeken (as I refer to the Consumerist Eds as united by their royal “we.”) had credited me with doing the initial poking around (looking at the html source in my browser) which led to the method to build temporary links to the comment page; the evidence is here, (stripped of the carriage returns I had originally put in it, by the way).

Mention of me got edited out after a short time when the entry was rewritten as the strategies for coping with the website problems changed; that’s what the “…*hint*…” I dropped above was about.

So hooray for me.

Thank you and good night.