Rear View Monitor

Unless your office is a giant room with everyone’s desks facing the center, you may enjoy affixing a computer rear view mirror to your monitor. This one can be had for $7.87.

Maintain office cred by alt-tabbing away from spreadsheets.

Listen, everyone is definitely looking at your monitor when they scuttle past, at least now you can know that they know. Seriously, they told us. Everyone’s been talking about it at the water cooler, in the lunch line, in meetings just before you arrive…

Plus, it’s better feng-shui — and that’s exactly what you tell your boss when you expense it.

Computer Mirror at Ministry of Gadgets via Shiny Shiny.

Comments

1. ModerateSnark says:

And when the pointy-haired boss comes by and says “What’s that for?,” you tell him it’s a Carbon-based Obnoxious Moron Detector, except you pronounce it “Carbon Monoxide Detector.”

2. ModerateSnark says:

Oops, make that “Or” not “And,” an alternative to the feng-shui explanation.

3. Ben Popken says:

m.Truex writes:

“It’s actually cheaper and more satisfying in a low-level MacGuyverish way to buy a round rearview mirror attachment from a local auto-parts store for only 2 or 3 dollars. The only difference is the frame and the mounting – the former doesn’t matter, and the latter can be modified with electrical or duct tape. I’ve got one attached to my flat panel at work right now.”

4. OkiMike says:

For quite some time now I’ve had my office desk webcam mounted on top of the monitor in the same position facing the door behind me. I keep the camera turned on and in a small window towards the bottom of my monitor so I can see who comes in and out and what they’re looking at…

5. Morgan says:

I actually had a former co-worker get one of those from (if I’m remembering correctly) Verisign; it was supposed to be a security measure so you could be sure no one was looking over your shoulder when you typed in passwords. That could be a good excuse for any curious bosses- it increases security.