Real Snakes On A Plane: Viral Marketing or Implausible Adventure?

From the Too Timely To Be Real Department, this just in: a 62 year old West Virginia pilot screams “I’m sick of these muddafuggin’ snakes!” right before grabbing a cobra around the thorax and punching it right in the face.

Flying his biplane over Ohio on a breezy summer day, Monty Coles was surprised to discover a four and a half foot snake coiled around the throttle. Luckily, Monty didn’t do what I would do: sissily flap my hands perpendicular to my ears while running around the cockpit in circles and shrieking. Monty is a man of action.

Remembering some sage advice from his flying instructor — “No matter what happens, fly the plane” — what followed, according to Monty, was an epic battle between man and snake, thirty thousand feet in the air in an out of control airplane.

Of course, with Snakes On A Plane coming out this summer and all, we suspect this is viral advertisement at its finest.

Pilot Fights Black Snake Stowaway on Plane [Fox News]

Comments

1. olegna says:

Considering that cobras aren’t arboral constrictors, I severaly doubt one would be coiled around anything.

2. Paul D says:

On Fox News no less…

3. Chad Cloman says:

I know you were having fun with this one, but you’re playing a bit too loose with the facts.

The plane was a Piper Cherokee, which is not a biplane.

Second, the Piper Cherokee is a small plane, and there really isn’t room to stand up, much less run around the cockpit in circles.

Third, it wasn’t a cobra, which I’m pretty sure isn’t indigenous to North America; rather, it was a black snake.

4. Although I know the urge to seem like a smarty by correcting any error (even if humorously intentional) is pretty well in-grained into a certain variety of Internet snark, please take note. We know it wasn’t a cobra. We know it wasn’t a biplane. We don’t care. Those words are better.

5. The Comedian says:
  6. droppedD says:

i heard this guy interviewed on NPR last week; it sounded pretty genuine to me. But i suppose even if it really happened, it’d make sense for the SOAP ad folks to push this into the real news as free publicity.

7. ModerateSnark says:

You tell ‘em Brownlee.

Personally, I aim for funny-crank snark, not whiny-crank snark.

And that’s no Balogne.

8. Ran Kailie says:

Its on fox news so it must be true!

Sounds a bit to out there to be anything but Viral marketing to me, but I think that guy belongs on that list of Real Men on Maddox, right up there with the Captain who killed the 660 lb shark with his bare hands and a knife.

Good Times

9. non-meat-stick says:

a weiner dog named killer

that’s the real story here