Marketers Still Hate Blogs, Thankfully

Good riddance: — this article in Ad Week claims that only 13% of marketers are using blogs or social networks in marketing. Not only that, about half say they won’t be stinking up our comments section in the next year.

Actually, we don’t really have a problem with marketers coming by, reading our stuff, giving us the corporate stance. What concerns us are viral marketers: the double-agents who sneak into communities largely based on trust and start meting out bought-and-paid-for, half-pitch opinions in the most calculated and manipulative way possible. You’re already starting to see it on many popular internet forums; you’ll start seeing it in the comments section of popular blogs soon enough.

The longer we have before we’ve got to deal with double-thinking every opinion we read on a blog to make sure it’s not viral form of corporate manipulation, the better.

Marketers Wary of Emergent Media [Adweek]

Comments

1. Ben Popken says:

The subhead for that article should say, “Likewise, Emergent Media Wary of Marketers.”

2. RandomHookup says:

If you like this comment, be sure to read our other blogs starting with Gawker.com.

3. Paul D says:

Meh. It’s usually not that hard to spot a viral marketing post in a discussion forum.

If there’s one thing marketers are NOT good at, it’s sounding sincere and natural. They just don’t teach that in marketing classes. Quite the opposite, IMO.

I don’t think anybody here would have trouble sniffing out a questionable post.

4. mark duffy says:

In other news, marketers still believe the free brochure is tits.

5. TedSez says:

I think people who read blogs are totally cool. You know, the kind of cool people who love to start their day with a delicious bowl of Cheerios. Not only are Cheerios full of whole-grain goodness, but they give us the energy we need to read blogs all day long. In fact, I think they’re just about the best cereal around. But that’s just my opinion, of course. Nobody told me to say it, or offered me a year’s supply if I posted it all over the Web. Mmmm, Cheerios.

6. OkiMike says: