Turning the Tables on the Hudson

Robert Norton is staying at the Hudson Hotel here in New York and his feet are cold:

Staying in this hell hole and have full sympathies with Jason Calcanis. He complained about the heating here and got a few nights refund.

Well I have been here since Sat – arrived to a freezing room, was told heating didn’t work in summer months and have not been able to sleep for last two nights because my switched off air conditioning unit keeps waking me up with the sounds of clanging irons.

All I can say is Ian Schrager – once a nightclub promoter always a nightclub promoter.

Once you leave the swanky lobby area, this must be the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in NY.

P.S. also the night manager Chris Vargess doesn’t even say sorry (aaaahhhhhhhh!)

Sorry for what, we wonder, but not enough to find out for ourselves.

The Hudson Hotel receives a 9.5 rating on CitySearch, and even garnered a 2001 award for Best Bargain Hotel. The savings apparently comes from, among the lack of other amenities, skinflint heating. However, Calacanis reports paying $450 a night. At those rates, you can buy a sweater.

Comments

1. Brian Gee says:

Dude, is $450 really the “Best Bargain”? Who’s doing these ratings? Daddy Warbucks?

2. Ben Popken says:

Travis writes:

“I hate this place…the rooms are smaller than those on a cruise ship.

Not get too personal but when sitting on the toilet, my knees touched the wall in front of me. You cannot walk past the toilet to get into the shower without walking with your back against the wall.

I refuse to stay there ever again.”

3. Das Ubergeek says:

This is why you should never, ever, ever stay in the “hip” place… for God’s sake, for $450 you can stay in Le Pierre on Fifth Avenue and Sixty-First Street and live life in the lap of luxury.

My requirements for a vacation hotel include clean, quiet and reasonable temperature — that’s it, since when I’m on vacation I don’t spend time in my hotel room. For a business hotel, it should be a little nicer and have free WiFi, but that’s about it.

4. mark duffy says:

Douchebag Schrager destroyed one of the best bars in NYC–the old bar in the Gramercy Hotel–to build one of his new vanity projects.

5. B Borrman says:

Here’s my 8-hour Hudson experience, just the highlights:

- Tiny room, okay I expected that, but I’m 6’5″ and can only sit on the toilet if I leave the bathroom door open so my knees have somewhere to go

- Fifth floor room, and the noise from the club is so loud that the alarm clock is vibrating on the shelf

- Smokers go outside and stand under the ventilation system, sending smoke right into my room

- 1:30am, the girls in the room above get home and you can hear every word they say, in addition to the high-heels on the floor

- 2:00am, the guy next door gets back and starts having the loudest, seemingly least comfortable (for her) sex I’ve ever heard

-2:30am, from the guy next door’s room: “hey, guy, get up. I need my money. Hey! Wake up, you haven’t paid me!”

-2:33am, I take advantage of the Wifi connection and locate a room at the W Tuscany for $125 less per night

- 4:00am, check out, tell them it was terrible and I can’t spend a week there, they say, “sorry, we’ll refund your one night, we apologize”

So, the only points this hotel get from me go to the very kind front desk staff.

6. Ben Popken says:

Esme writes:

“Well I am not surprised at all. My husband and I run Weekendhotel.nl, the portal for charming hotels in Belgium and the Netherlands. We have reviewed a lot of hotels and B&Bs.

We have stayed in a lot of “design” hotels that blew all their money on a star designer (for the lobby/bar/restaurant), then left the rooms in a sorry state. It’s very common to hear people blowing their noses, taking showers, etc. The plumbing is also another weak link and you do hear water pumps, showers, toilets flushing in a lot of these “design” hotels. That is why we stay mostly in luxury B&Bs where there are no more than three rooms and the owner really upgraded the entire property – including the rooms.

Esme Vos