Lady Tells How Moistureloc Made Her Blind. Skeet. Skeet.

Here’s an eyewitness account of a user of the infamous Bausch & Lomb Renu Moisture Loc contact lens solution. She went blind in one eye. From the NYT:

    “The problem began with redness and severe pain in her eye in mid-November. Her left eye became so sensitive to light she wore dark sunglasses indoors. “You know what it felt like?” she said. “Like something had bitten my eye.”

    Her doctor thought it was a bacterial infection and gave her medicine, but it did not work. On the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend, she said, the pain was so severe she went to the emergency room of a local hospital. That hospital immediately sent her to the Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia, where the fungal infection was diagnosed.

    For the first several weeks of treatment, she had to get up every hour at night to put drops in her eyes. Still, her cornea was so damaged that on Jan. 19 she had surgery to clear out the fungus and transplant a cornea.

    “I came within one week of losing my whole eye,” Ms. McConnell, 56, said.”

It’s disappointing that no pictures of eyeballs infected with the fungus have emerged. Wouldn’t that be useful, a series of pictures so we know what to look out for?

Also check out this NYT 3-pager, “From Asia to America, How Bausch’s Crisis Grew.” As this story unfolds, it appears more and more that B&L will emerge with a very large stick in its eye.

Previously:

Comments

Edit Your Comment

  1. Bubba Barney says:

    Here are some infected eye pics, but they aren’t fungal infections.

    http://www.opt.indiana.edu/ce/virker/part1.htm

  2. seanbee says:

    ouch Bubba, those pictures are scary but I think absolutely necessary for this topic. Maybe it will help some people to identify the problem earlier and seek appropriate help. Thanks for the info
    Sean
    http://www.bifocal-contact-lens-info.blogspot.com/