Hidden Benefits of New Wamu Gold Card

Seems like we have yet another thing to look forward to when we receive our shiny new gold Wamu card we didn’t ask for.

Along with its new account number, we’ll experience the thrill of changing the credit card listed for every recurring charge we have linked to the card.

According to the Seattlest, “That’s when we realized that we were anti-excited about the new opportunities and benefits our Gold MasterCard debit card was offering us. We were, in fact, annoyed.”

Awesome! Thanks, Wamu!

WaMu’s New Gold Debit Card Proves Inconvenient” [Seattlest]

Previously: Washington Mutual Is Our Friend With Benefits (That We Couldn’t Care Less About)

Comments

1. matto says:

You do realize that changing the card number was the entire reason for the reissue, right?

2. nweaver says:

NEVER EVER EVER EVER link a recurring charge to your DEBIT card. ONLY link it to your credit card.

3. John Stracke says:

You should have expected this; they can’t possibly switch you from Visa to MasterCard without changing the card number. Visa and MasterCard have different portions of the space of card numbers.

4. GenXCub says:

That happened to me when Wells Fargo mysteriously issued me a gold card a couple months back (for no apparent reason). I had to find out every place that I had the debit card linked to a recurring charge (I don’t have credit cards). I almost cried when I was without my World of Warcraft for all of about 15 minutes…

5. nweaver says:

GenXCub: Get a real credit card, if only for these recurring charges.

6. Grady says:

Spill, nweaver. What’s wrong with having a recurring charge on a debit card?

7. AcidReign says:

…..Our local utilities have the playful habit of occasionally sending select customers a bill with two or three extra digits addedto the balance. If that thing’s on auto-pay, rubber checks start bouncing everywhere! First, you have to convince the water works board that you don’t have a big enough pipe (or water pressure) to use 700 million gallons of water in a month. Then you try to get them to pay all the overdraft charges your bank put on you. And then try to get them to pay all the bounced check fees from other companies. And you either eat the fees and bad credit rating, or take it to court, looking at legal fees and years of wrangling.

…..And you could have avoided it all by not giving them a direct line into your account!