All Bausch & Lomb ReNu Products Will Give You Eye Fungus

Think you’re safe from developing an ocular socket full of oozing, stagnant fungus just because you’re using a Bausch & Lomb product that isn’t MoistureLoc? Better think again.

According to Wall Street analysts, all Bausch & Lomb ReNu eye care products are likely to be recalled after the discovery that 96% of the 107 people who developed fusarium keratitis in the last year were ReNu customers, many of whom had never used the MoistureLoc variety.Just to remind you how serious this infection is, eight of those people needed cornea transplants to avoid going blind.

Naturally, we can probably also suspect Bausch & Lomb to get humped by lawyers into a pool of quivering ooze on the courtroom floor. That’s what you get when you market an eye care product that makes the eyeballs of your customers liquefy.

Analyst Sees More Bausch & Lomb Recalls Ahead [Consumer Affairs]
Previously: Bausch & Lomb MoistureLocs Fusarium Keratitis Fungus in Your Eyeballs

Comments

1. misskaz says:

Hooray for being cheap and buying the generic Walgreens brand instead of the real stuff!

2. The Unicorn says:

Kaz, that is EXACTLY what I was going to post. Hear, hear!

3. QuasiInformed says:

Just type “RENU” into Google and you get 11(!) paid adds from PI attorneys. It is amazing. I am a lawyer (and a ReNu user) and I am discouraged. There are a limited number of people that have been seriously injured, likely by a B&L product defect. These people should be generously compensated and punitive damages assessed if B&L had any prior knowledge. What we end up with is a lot of PI attorneys looking to get paid to go away. Eye infections happen all the time, usually because the contact user wears the lenses too long, but they are rarely serious and fully treatable and have nothing to do with B&L. These lawyers are going to bootstrap any eye infection they can find into whatever settlement dollars they can find. It is sad and disgusting.

Rant done . . . I will now go get some generic ReNu.

4. Existenz says:

I thought I was safe after frantically checking my solution bottle when I first heard about this and saw that it wasn’t MoistureLoc. So much for that. I think I’ll now join you guys with the generic stuff before I too need a cornea transplant.

5. Ben Popken says:

Brian writes:

“Hiya,

I’m an optometrist in private practice, and I wanted to make a comment in your latest Renu posting, specifically to the guy that cheered for using generic Walgreens solutiuon.

The dirty little secret is that he’s probebly not only using Renu, but a formula that is one to three generations old.

At least two of the major solution manufacturers, Alcon (who makes Opti-Free) and B&L sell their old formulas as generics. What you are using may actually change over time. One year you might be using Renu, the next Opti-Free. In the past, I’ve heard that Allergan has done this with Complete, but the rep has claimed to me that they either no longer do it, or at least aren’t doing it now. This goes for all generic solutions that I’m aware of.

If you want to be sure about what you’re using, you have to buy national branded items. We’re currently dispensing three different solutions (Opti-Free Replenish, Complete and ClearCare) but there are others out there that can be effective as well.

Brian Eirik Coe, O.D.”

6. misskaz says:

You’d think that with a nick like “misskaz” it would be fairly clear that I am not a he.

What’s the problem with a generation-old formula? I’ve been wearing contacts for 8 years, I’ve probably already used the generation-old formula in the past.

I wear my glasses most of the time anyway.