Patagonia Rocks

Curt is a happy Patagonia customer. He bought a fleece sweater in 1977 and he was able to get it fixed by them, at no charge, over 29 years later. Now that is some great customer service!

Kudos to you, Patagonia.

Curt’s letter, after the jump.

Curt writes:

In 1977 I purchased a Cobalt blue Patagonia “Synchilla” fleece sweater. Approximately 20 years later the zipper finally gave way. The rest of the sweater was fine. They had advertised that the fleece wore like cast iron. I wrote Patagonia and inquired about purchasing a replacement zipper. They replied wanting to know approximately what year I had purchased the sweater as there were several shades of the Cobalt blue over the years and wanted to get the right match. I replied and they sent me a zipper at no charge. Not only that but they requested I send the repair bill to them and they would refund my expense. I did and they did. The sweater is still going strong almost thirty years after purchase. Now if they could fill the small hole someone burned it would look good as new. Customer service does not get any better than this.

Comments

1. konstantConsumer says:

north face is actually the same way. i’ve had my jacket for about 10 years now, and it’s been on many a long trek. i’ve had a zipper repaired by an authorized repair place, and my sister had a torn seam repaired on her’s, even though it was completely her fault that it tore.

2. Clare says:

I am not outdoorsy at all, so forgive my ignorance, but how does one “repair” a sweater? Do you just take it to your local tailor/seamstress and say “please take out the old zipper and reset the new zipper I have here?”

3. Jen says:

I love Patagonia. I was in one of their stores a few months ago and grabbed some pants that had a sign saying the style name and $19.99 taped below. I didn’t realize, but this price was for the shirts with the same style name hanging on the rack below. The salesperson gave me the lower price without me even asking, and I decided to get the shirt too because it was such a good deal.

4. guruscotty says:

Very similar experience with Land’s End. Bought a limited edition Aall-black squall jacket in the late 80s (or thereabouts). A couple of year ago, the zipper crapped out. So i called, but they no longer have black zippers. I didn’t really want an all-black jacket with a different-colored zipper. So they said, “just pick out a new color squall jacket, and we’ll send you that, and an envelope to return the black jacket in.

Here’s the kicker that made me double-customer-for-life: The limited edition jacket was more expensive than today’s jacket; so, without my asking for it, they refunded me something like four dollars-and-change over ten years later.

5. trixare4kids says:

Zippo is the same way. When my great grandmother died a few years ago, one of the things I was given was a tre cool engraved Zippo circa 1964 and another that was from around the same time. Both of them were broken so I shipped them off to Zippo for free repair. They repaired one and sent it back. They were unable to repair the other one so they send it back along with a lovely replacement model with a $45 price tag. They’ve got a customer for life right here.

6. factotum says:

What kind of sweater has a zipper?

7. non-meat-stick says:

a zip-up sweater…

8. Wintersmith says:

Wish I could join the cheering, but I reluctantly gave up Patagonia after a disappointing encounter with their CS last year. A printed label inside their sport bra caused me to break out in hives, something I’d never experienced before in my life. It was awful. It cost me hundreds of dollars in doctor’s office visits and prescription steroids over more than 2 months, and itched so constantly and horribly that I just wanted to be knocked unconscious. And the side effects from the steroids linger on.

I reported this to Patagonia, first to find out what on god’s green earth they’d used on that label, so I could tell my doctor. They would not answer the question, though they admitted that other customers had also had allergic reactions and the product development department was working to find a different material. This meant I had to try and find out through blood tests. Couple of hundred bucks later, I still don’t know.

I wrote back to Patagonia, asking them to at least give me a discount on future shopping considering their refusal to help with the debilitating (and expensive!) condition triggered by their product. They refused. I could return the bra for a full refund per their standing policy, but the fact that I was covered with hives on every inch of skin excepting soles and palms was not their concern.

Mind you, all the e-mail were timely and courteous. But so were mine, and I had hives on the outside and a scary dose of prednisone inside to contend with.

I haven’t purchased a Patagonia item since. Having never found out what the allergen was, I’m first of all afraid to wear any of their new clothes. But the larger reason would have to be the sense of intense disappointment at their Not-Our-Problem attitude. I really didn’t expect that same old crap from Patagonia, of all places.