Delta, Signalling Impending Doom, Asks Workers to Volunteer to Clean Aircraft

Delta workers, how would you like a free t-shirt?

“… the nation’s No. 3 airline is asking some 50,000 employees to volunteer to clean aircraft at night on their own time. Their reward: a free T-shirt, reward points good for merchandise and a chance to show their pride in the airline….”

Someone else told us recently that you should cash in your Delta miles soon because they’re going under. This news seems to confirm that suspicion or, at the very least, they’re in big doggy doo.

Clean for Pride, Not Pay, Delta Asks Staff” [St. Petersburg Times] (Thanks to Ian!)

Comments

1. Danilo says:

Is that even legal?

2. mariser says:

beloved editors,

“Singalling” ? at first I thought it was some Consumerist version of a singalong…

best,

3. Ben Popken says:

That’s what we get for wanting to try out our new bicycle too eagerly! Thanks, fixing momentarily.

4. I met someone who worked (in Tokyo) for a Japanese bank and they were expected to clean up the office, empty trash, etc. after closing. Not quite as serious as cleaning up a plane and it is Japan after all, but still, a precedent elsewhere.

5. Juancho says:

I’m a librarian and I have to arrive/leave work before/after what I’m actually scheduled. There’s no time clock. Gotta be there.

6. Ben says:

This isn’t cleaning up your office, this is a four or eight hour shift scrubbing things like toilets and such.

I work on salary, too, and have to get my job done (no pay for overtime if I have to work). But they don’t ask me to do somebody else’s job for an entire day, and if they did they would compensate with more than a t-shirt (usually comp time, meaning if I work a day doing Fred’s job in addition to my own job then I can take a day off)

7. Mary Marsala With Fries says:

I think the big question is, “Are the fatcats in this company making any money at all?” Because if they are — especially if they’re making anything like normal Airplane Fatcat money — they should be drug out of their fancy houses, stripped naked, handed mops, and videotaped cleaning the planes (the videos could be sold for enough money to give all the flight attendants fat Xmas bonuses).

What am I saying? The executives probably got bonuses this year. The guy who thought up the “let’s get them to clean the planes free” idea probably got a double bonus. And a tax break.

I love how in small businesses, being an executive is (more often) about having the responsibility to keep your employees paid and comfortable, sometimes at your own expense. My dad runs a business, and he gouges his own pay all the time to make sure the employees do well. But in big business, it’s all about how fast you can rape the little guy and turn his pension into another mink for your mistress. Revolting.

8. airship says:

Airlines. Unions. Volunteer. These are the important concepts here. All airline workers are union members, and can’t be forced to do additional work unless their contracts allow it. Which they don’t. And the unions will not put up with the ‘executive fat cats’ pulling this kind of BS. Which is, by the way, why we NEED unions, in case you’ve forgotten. Which America seems to have done.