Bush’s iPod Houses “Illegal” Songs

The RIAA and the DRM Nazis could have a new target besides small families, single mothers and MIT students. How about the President of the United States? From BoingBoing:

“GW Bush’s iPod contains “illegal” (according to RIAA) music In the video linked below, we see that President Bush’s iPod contains songs by the Beatles; since no Beatles songs have been licensed for the iTunes Music Store yet, these must have come from ripped CDs. Remember last February, when the RIAA told a federal agency that ripping CDs is illegal? I wonder if they’ll bring charges.”

Nor does the fact that permission to make a copy in particular circumstances is often or even routinely granted, necessarily establish that the copying is a fair use when the copyright owner withholds that authorization. In this regard, the statement attributed to counsel for copyright owners in the MGM v. Grokster case is simply a statement about authorization, not about fair use.

Link

Comments

1. Hawkins says:

At last! Grounds for impeachment! None of this vague stuff about failure to defend the borders, or lying about the evidence for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Now we have hard evidence of [what big U.S. companies consider to be] high crimes and misdemeanors!

2. mrscolex says:

Love him or hate him everyone should consider this a good thing– how often do you think the president covers DRM as normal talking points? If this story breaks large in a hyped sort of oversensationalized way then the president himself may be forced to confront the idea that this stuff has gone a bit too far…

and then he doesn’t have to enact legislation, he just has to come out during one of his more jovial press conferences and say:

Bush: I’ve got that new apple shuffle, yep, and it turns out that the songs I listen to on it are illegal. What in the world has this place come to when the leader of the FREE WORLD can’t listen to music that he owns on a CD?! What kind of god damned confederate police state to we live in?!

Remember when bush senior when on the pulpit and mentioned gangster rap? Didn’t even need legislation just *huge* public outcry and media scrutiny. Maybe the same thing will happen.

3. GenXCub says:

Or he’ll just throw a flunky under the bus like he’s done before. “I didn’t load the songs, Jethro did. It just goes to show that you shouldn’t make a Texas Pig Farmer your secretary of personal affairs, that job clearly belongs to my favorite Piggly Wiggly cashier.”

4. It’s gotta be Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, right?

5. Smoking Pope says:

Run For Your Life.

6. Ben Popken says:

John writes:

“You’re kidding, right? This is a foolish non-story, and it’s rather stupid that it’s making the blog rounds today. The quote boing-boing has up on its site from the RIAA says nothing about how it’s illegal to copy cds to your computer or ipod. It says there’s a possibility of illegality (basically, it’s reserving its right to claim illegality later, but that’s a little like reserving the right to drive a race car — I can say I just might do it in the future, but that doesn’t mean that A) I’m really going to do it or B) anyone would let me do it). I like Bush-bashing as much as the next guy, but this just feels like a bland and ill-reasoned attempt at trying to make the RIAA look stupid, which I think they do just fine at by themselves.”

7. LucyInTheSky says:

well certainly not “Think for Yourself.”