Calls From a Stranger

Clampants has been getting strange Spanish phonecalls on his cellphone. Once, when getting off a plane in Austin, he and his wife, neither of whom speak Spanish, had muffled Spanish voicemails from the same number.

He writes:

“Today, I had a call from 1-954-678-8026 which was another muffled Spanish recorded message…and a failed call from 1-305-503-8068 which, when called back, led me to a Spanish-language menu system (pressing 9 got me to a Spanish-speaking operator…but, I ended the call). Both of these numbers seem to originate in Florida (305 is the Miami area and 954 is Broward County).”

Several other bloggers have noted the phenomenon recently. A couple of people found Clampants blog by searching for the same phone numbers and reported they also received the calls.

“No clue what this is,” writes Clampants. “If it’s some sort of scam, well, the language barrier is certainly hindering the scam attempts.”

Would any Spanish speakers in the audience like to give call the numbers up and report back what’s going on? What kind of company are they, what are they selling, why are they leaving mass Spanish messages?

UPDATE: We just called the numbers and there’s a busy/disconnected pulsing tone.

UPDATE: These are autodialers using pre-recorded solicitation messages. It is illegal. If you receive one of these calls, enter the area code and prefix here at Telcodata.US. Complain to the customer service of the provider listed. They will shut the unsolicited phone spammer down.

UPDATE: Verizon sues some telemarketer using the same tactics. And here’s one man’s story of how he successfully sued a telemarketer who called him at 5 in the morning. He also provides a slew of resources for tracking down phone solicitors.

Comments

1. lgf says:

I can’t reach 305-503-8086, not sure if it’s disconnected.

954-678-8026 does not give a Spanish message, I got the voicemail of what sounds like a stoned teenager in English saying “leave a message m-f”. Are you sure those are the right numbers?

2. KevinQ says:

He might want to check out this page, where some people were having the same problem: http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/08/26/153054.php

Short version, yeah, it looks like a scam of some sort focusing on people with cell phones. But people are working to get it shut down.

K

3. Papercutninja says:

Yep, i can confirm. My girlfriend got one of the 954 calls in muffled spanish on her cell last week.

Isnt there any way we can back track those numbers?

4. non-meat-stick says:

Remember when homer got the AT-5000?

(Originally designed to alert children of snow days and such)

5. Bubba Barney says:

I keep getting calls from 813-996-1587 and I am on the do not call list. I just don’t answer, but it is still annoying to see these calls show up.

6. Cynthia says:

Weird, I am also getting calls from 813-996-1587. They never leave a message but seem to be calling my cell with greater freqency! I am so annoyed, especially because I don’t know anyone in Tampa!

7. grrlpower3 says:

Im getting calls from 813-996-1587, but I dont know anyone from that areas code. i never pick up and they don’t leave a message but its really annoying.

8. Simeone says:

I got the call this morning from 716-507-9898. According to whocalled.us, this phone number has been in use for the last couple of days for this type of call. I called T-Mobile (based on the Telco entry, it appears to be a T-Mobile phone number through a smaller company). Since I’m a T-Mobile customer, they just blocked the number from calling me — I’m not sure they are taking any further action.