H&R Cock Blocked

Last week Intuit, makers of Turbo Tax, sued H&R Block for mimicking its advertising campaign. Block’s ad “copies the physical appearance, dress and mannerisms of the characters in the TurboTax ad, as well as the set, staging and pace of the advertisement,” said Intuit in a statement.

The ad is said to have violated Intuit’s “intellectual property.”

Acrimony betwixt the two companys has been high leading into tax season.

In an earlier skirmish, Turbo Tax got a class-action sued filed against it for failing to disclose that its software couldn’t be loaded onto more than one computer, which turned out to be a big problem if, as it did for many users, the first installation malfuctioncted. Smelling the fart of defeat, H&R Block, which had previously been considering employing the single activation function in its sofwtare, swooped into the fray. The big green block deployed a campaign trumpeting, “Switch Today. TaxCut imports from TurboTax. No product activation required.”

For the gallery, how are you preparing your taxes?

H&R Block Sued Over Advertisement” [Yahoo Finance]

Intuit Sued Over Product Activation” [PCWorld]

Comments

1. KevinQ says:

I did mine with freetaxusa.com. I’ve done it with them for the last 3 or 4 years. Fairly easy, no big problems. $10 for state and federal.

K

2. Ozyman666 says:

Did mine through TurboTax online.

State Farm Insurance customers who have registered on their website get full TurboTax filing free.

3. Since the year when TurboTax introduced the single-use “feature,” I’ve always used TaxCut. (Last year, though, I used TaxCut online, for some reason I can’t remember.) I’ve also found that TaxCut was a little more accurate and clear in one year when I compared the two side-by-side.

4. GenXCub says:

I used Turbotax back in early Feb. Worked for me and my partner, but had to go on the same machine. I didn’t realize the error I was getting on his machine was due to not being allowed on 2 boxes. Before this year, I only ever had 1 box at home

5. RowdyRoddyPiper says:

You people are still doing your taxes?

6. Paul D says:

I have a friend that works for H&R Block. Always does a great job, and gives me a discount on the prep fee…

7. Mary Marsala With Fries says:

Feeling like I’ve been screwed by just about every program and every company enough times, thank you (I almost had to sue H&R Block last year) — So this year, just for a reprieve from the Mass Screwing, I did them on paper.

It was rather refreshing. At least the *only* people screwing me this time was the government, and hell, I’m used to that.

-M.

8. Sir Winston Thriller says:

I did our on Turbotax and filed electronically for the federal return. Also used Turbotax for the state return, but couldn’t file electronically because we had to recalculate and include a different federal return because of our civil union.