Wal-Mart Hates Gay Cowboys

According to an anonymous source, Wal-Mart expects to get a large number of customer complaints about Brokeback Mountain, set to be released tomorrow.

Our tipster writes:

“My husband is a assistant manager at a Wal-Mart here in North Carolina. I personally hate Wal-Mart and all that they stand for, and refuse to shop there (and haven’t in almost a year).

While having dinner last night, I asked him if Wal-Mart was going to carry Brokeback Mountain when it’s released on DVD on Tuesday. He said that he had just gotten an e-mail (sent to all the upper level-managers) that “due the controversial nature of the film” they were expecting to get a large number of customer complaints. The e-mail went on to say that the “corporate office does not want ANY manger to attempt to address the complaints and to refer all of them to an 800 number at the Arkansas office.”

Says Wal-Mart, “I will quit you, Jim.”

UPDATE: We just called our favorite Wal-Mart (Liberty, Missouri) and they will be carrying the film. The customer service specialist said that headquarters decides whether or not to pull a film based on complaints. Sometimes, he said, they will do so by geographic area, such as only from northwest Missouri. The representative said he’s logged four complaints so far.

Comments

1. nweaver says:

Its Wal-Mart. Remember, these are the people who refuse to sell ANY music with explicit lyrics unless it is at least vaguely christian (Evanescence).

2. kerry says:

It’s unclear in the post, but it does appear that WalMart is stocking the movie, at least their website is:
    And good on them for informing their managers of what to do when someone complains. Not enough companies bother to do this, leaving management to go off-the-cuff when a customer has a complaint store management simply can’t address, and that leads to misinformation and trouble all ’round.

3. DeeJayQueue says:

I can’t say I’m surprised to hear this. Honestly though, how many gay people shop at wally world anyway? They sell such tacky things, we all know better.

4. RandomHookup says:

Nothing like complaints from people about a movie they haven’t seen.

5. Scott says:

Oh, thank baby Jesus we have WalMart to protect us! They keep my malleable little mind safe from controversial subjects like love, and political awareness, and colorful language, and butt cracks. Why, if it weren’t for the WalMart buffer, I’d probably be some sort of well-adjusted, informed, stronger, more aware human being! Hey, wait a second…. Fuck you, WalMart!

6. julian says:

I’d love to see the memo they’d get if WalMart ever decided to sell Jerry Springer The Opera

7. Spr1dle says:

I’ll bet that Wal-Mart is sick of hearing from Consumerist folks. By the way, do they sell rainbow ribbons?

Also, it’s Liberty, Missouri– not Liberty City. Liberty City is the setting of Grand Theft Auto III. I’d be less surprised if the Liberty City Wal-Mart were to carry Brokeback Mountain; it seems to be an “everything goes” sort of town.

8. GenXCub says:

All us gays know that when we need the tacky piece to complete our plastic cup collection… we’ll go to the Isaac Mizrahi collection at Target!

9. RaginCajun says:

As the resident Wal-Mart defender I’ll have to say “Nice job piling on when you don’t have the facts straight.” Wal-Mart is actually being harassed by the AFA for a) Brokeback and b) carrying Plan B morning-after pills (and the AFA is trying to twist the issue and get its base more fired up by claiming Wal-Mart carries RU-486 and/or calling Plan B “the abortion pill”).

No doubt the message to managers was issued precisely because Don Wildmon has made a “call to action.”

‘Regarding “Brokeback Mountain,” the Wal-Mart spokesman said the company provides a wide movie selection in store and online “because a broad segment of the customer base wants to buy the latest titles.” ‘

10. Papercutninja says:

Well, RaginCajun…let’s all hope that the AFA headquarters gets firebombed, then.

11. Smoking Pope says:

I’ve never understood why anyone like Wal-Mart would cave to the AFA. All bark, no bite. So you lose a few customers. That’s probably an equal number of customers to those they lose by NOT carrying “objectionable” videos or stocking the morning after pill. Plus, they’re not exactly hurting for customers.

Anyway, does anyone have that Arkansas 800 number so I can call and complain about Wal-Mart’s lack of hard core video pr0n?

12. People Paula says:

Maybe Wal-Mart should stop selling Men’s Health and vibrators too.

(Come on, we all know they’re not really back massagers…)

13. AcidReign says:

…..They don’t carry the Hitachi Magic Wand. Don’t waste your money there…

14. OkiMike says:

It’s a simple concept people, really! If you don’t agree with or like something then don’t buy it!

Wham bam thank you maam!

15. Bubba Barney says:

Brokeback is pretty vanilla compared to some of the stuff you can get off of Netflix.

I saw this movie [Head On] recently that was shockingly explicit [in a good way]. It would be funny if Wal Mart unitentionally sold it on it’s shelves on the ‘nets.

16. Bubba Barney says:

Oh my. So I just checked and Wal Mart sold their DVD rental service to Netflix. How funny.