Benzene In Soda Is Cancerous

Watch out, that next can of carbonated fizzy water you guzzle could turn your esophagus into a tumorous pipe oozing with cancer and bile. The carcinogen in question is Benzene and according to Beverage Daily, benzene levels in most soft drinks are up to five times the World Heath Organization’s limit for drinking water.

Of course, the Coca Cola company isn’t quite so stupid to purposely add benzene to their sodas. It’s formed by a chemical reaction between ascorbic acid and potassium benzoate. Vitamin C and Preservatives, in other words. If you leave a can of pop out in the light, chances are it’s already starting to become laced with traces of benzene.

Benzene exposure is commonly associated with leukemia and a swath of blood disease. The sodas that are most risky to drink include such favorites as Fanta Orange, Hawaiian Punch, Mug Root Beer and Tropicana Lemonade. Luckily, IBC Root Beer and Cherry Coke aren’t on the list — we’re not sure we could live without those.

Not a big surprise. We’ve often recommended that the only healthy things to drink in today’s modern, health-conscious world is water, coffee and as much booze as your liver can absorb. You might want to think twice about reaching for that next Pepsi Vanilla.

Groups Want Sodas With Benzene Out Of Schools [Consumer Affairs]

Comments

1. mark duffy says:

It’s a hell of a lot cheaper than getting us lazy copywriters to execute their pro forma TV spots.

2. mark duffy says:

I don’t know how the above comment ended up with this post. It was made on the post above this one. Remember, I am the consumer here and therefore, am always right.

3. ExVee says:

This is kinda making me look twice at the bottle of Hawaiian Punch I have, sitting there in the sunlight…

Maybe I should go back to those cans of Tang mix…

4. mand0 says:

This only makes me feel better about no longer drinking soda. God, I love water.

5. e says:

I thought I was being so good to myself by not drinking caffeine. So now root beer can be bad for me? Ack!

6. ExVee says:

Just plain old carbonated stuff is bad for you too. That phosphoric acid that actually helps make it fizzy will eat away at your bones with long term exposure.

The water’s full of fluoride, juice is genetically engineered, and whatever drinks won’t give you cancer will turn your bones into paper towl tubes.

Maybe this is why people become alcoholics.

7. GenXCub says:

How do you expose your bones to phosphoric acid?

8. Bubba Barney says:

At least vodka and water appear the same. That will make it much easier to carry around all day. Thanks Consumerist! I’m going to become a raging alcoholic!

9. OkiMike says:

I like a bottle of Jack after a nice 4-mile run!