Man Charged $4,000 for Four Burgers

For George and Pat Beane, the cost of four Burger King sandwiches was more than the contribution to the downfall of man and the raping of the working class Mogran Spurlock indoctrinated them about. After ordering two whopper Jr’s and a two Rodeo cheeseburgers through drive through, they got charged for over four thousand three hundred dollars.

The electronic charge passed to their checking account and wiped them out. Mortgage payments and bills were due, checks had been passed. The couple was broke and the funds frozen, the bank having put the funds on a three-day hold.

“The hold is designed to prevent customers from spending money that no longer is available in their accounts and to let the bank confirm a transaction is legitimate before transferring funds,” said Bank of America supervisor Joel Solorio.

When completing the transaction, the Burger King cashier forgot she already entered the $4.33 on the debit card and punched the numbers in again without erasing the first ones, making a charge of 433433.

“For those three days, those were the most expensive value burgers in history,” Pat Beane said.

Three days is too long. Bank of America, you suck coagulated cheese curds.

Four Burgers Cost a Whopper [Associated Press] (Thanks to Brandon!) photo cred.

Comments

1. Nick says:

…and this goes to show why you should _always_ check the amount of a transaction before you approve it.

2. Bubba Barney says:

I have friends who never carry cash, only debit/credit cards. I am trying to convert them to use cash for stuff because of how jacked up our banking/information systems are.

But they are being stubborn citing ‘convenience’. Blegh.

3. limiter says:

After the whole debit/atm card fiasco and my bank (as well as many others) not giving any kind of guarantee about returning money to checking my account I have stopped using my check card and atm cards and rely on cash and true credit card if need be. I thought it would be a pain in the ass, but it wasn’t and now I can only be liable for $50 of my $4000 cheeseburgers. It also helps my CC doesn’t have a $4000 limit.

4. Ben Sherman says:

NEVER EVER EVER EVER use a debit card on an account that has ANY money in it that has ANYTHING to do with ANYTHING important.

Banks can, will and DO fuck people over with electronic funds. If this happens on your real credit card, you have an almost instant way to fix it.

And Nick, when was the approval supposed to happen? The hold had been placed already, there was no way to credit, even if BK wanted to.

A simple clerical error can and will mess you up in cases like this everywhere.

Stop using debit cards.

5. Danilo says:

That’s horrifying. What’s worse is the software that let it happen. You’re selling burgers, man. You’re telling me that a $4k charge isn’t setting off alarm bells? No transaction ever has any business being that enormous. For the sake of their own bottom line, they really should have an alert or report E-Mailed to a manager when a number that deviant from the norm crops up.

6. EricaJoy says:

Tell me why this isn’t partly Burger Kings fault? I’m no BoA advocate by any means but if a transaction comes through, it has to be honored, right?

7. nweaver says:

ALWAYS use a CREDIT card, not a debit card.

8. RowdyRoddyPiper says:

I second Danilo on this, how on god’s green earth is there not some front line error checking in this case. I mean it would be very very simple to put something in. 4th standard deviation or so of transaction size at a burger king and set that at the limit. Do you REALLY want to process a charge of $4334.33?? REALLY? And yeah, this is why they give you the chance to approve transactions.

9. L_Emmerdeur says:

Because they are the Kings of Burger, but the Shit-Covered Field Peasants of Systems and Accounting.