The Consumerist Saves Lives

We’re glad when our efforts can bring joy to others.

Especially when that joy is meat based. We’re not talking about our editor’s special talent he busts out during interviews, we’re talking big, thick, juicy, dripping steaks. Danilo wrote in on the arrival of his Omaha steaks he ordered after our recommendation in the Morning Deals on March 14th.

Apparently, they look and taste salubrious. Read the happy consumer letter after the jump.

Danilo writes:

“I could cry… because the execution is perfect. Lured in by your link to an amazing deal on some Omaha Steaks products ($200-worth of meat for $60) I promptly ordered a fine selection of steaks, beef patties, pork and frankfurters. This was last week. Yesterday, a Styrofoam cooler showed up, cheerfully delivered by UPS Dude.

This foam treasure chest was bursting with carnivorous delights. The meat was still perfectly frozen, its temperature maintained by a large chunk of dry ice at the bottom of the cooler.

The meat was delicious and remarkably well-priced. I marvel at the ability for it to have made such a journey and arrive at my home intact. Omaha Steaks has obviously invested a lot of time and money into the logistics of moving highly perishable product around — the tasty results really speak for themselves. I was initially hesitant to order meat in this way, but this is awesome stuff and I
    m completely sold. Thanks for the morning deals roundup, Consumerist!”

Aww. Pour some of that steak juice out on the curb and say, “This one’s for my boy, The Consumerist.”

Get the same tasty flesh deal here.

Comments

1. Jesse says:

Oh man, Ohama Steaks Ribeyes are the food of the gods. So frickin’ good.

2. Sloshua says:

Delicious, even with the mad cow disease. The promotional code “7819BBB” still works.

3. AcidReign says:

…..I’d have to guess that they’ve improved the freezing process in the past decade or so. The most fun thing about my gift of them years ago, was putting the big dry ice block in a sink near my young children’s room and running water over it. They really enjoyed shrieking and running around in the huge ensuing cloud that billowed through their end of the house!

4. Jen says:

Oh, I ordered this special a couple months ago, I’m STILL eating the sirloin. It’s so utterly fabulous it hurts. I thought the filet and the burgers would be the highlight, but wait til you try the crab-stuffed sole. It’s like you’ve died and gone to butter heaven.

5. Chris Gibson says:

I just received my own $200 box o’beef parts, and it arrived with everything hard as a rock, with plenty of dry ice left to boot. I like to take the dry ice out and perform various fun and enlightening experiments for the kids, although my wife is a little worried that someone in their 40’s can have THAT much fun with a hunk of frozen gas.

On a Consumerist note, back in the day when I lived in Florida, my very first order of Omaha Steaks (a gift at Christmas time) arrived in January, completely thawed. Florida can be like that on frozen stuff, even in January. Anyhoos, I called up Omaha Steaks, and they asked a few questions to confirm that the steaks had actually thawed (the soft juiciness flowing inside of the vacuum-sealed baggies was a dead giveaway), and then promptly shipped out a complete replacement shipment, no further questions asked. That’s some good consumerising!

There is one downside to Omaha Steaks – they are ruthless telemarketers, and call you a LOT to get you to order more food. They are always polite, but they never give up trying you again, and again, and again. The Assertive Consumer will no doubt tell the callrt to take them off their lists, but I’m a Notorious Wuss in that regard. But it’s still some darn good eatin’ beef.