Round 14: Halliburton vs. Wal-Mart

Gawker Media polls require Javascript; if you’re viewing this in an RSS reader, click through to view in your Javascript-enabled web browser.

You’ve got until Sunday to stuff the ballot box on this and Round 13. Last two finalists announced next Monday.

Previously:
Round 13: US Government vs. ChoicePoint
Worst Company in America? Tier 2 Results

Comments

1. Paul D says:

Oh man.

Tough call.

I guess one way to look at it is: one company largely profits off the misfortunes of Americans, and the other profits off the misfortunes of the people of other nations.

This one will take considerable deliberation.

2. airship says:

While I agree with Paul D that this is a tough call, I’m voting for Wal-Mart. Halliburton are war profiteers, but they are essentially a part of a bigger ‘corrupt government’ problem. If not Halliburton, someone else. Getting rid of Halliburton wouldn’t solve the basic problem. That would take a cleanup of the way our government does business.
    Wal-Mart, however, is the result of a family of greedy multi-billionaires grabbing ever more money by disregarding the rights of their employees, their suppliers, and even their customers. One gets the impression that, if Wal-Mart could make a few cents more by killing their employees and serving them up, uncooked, to their customers, they would.
    Pure capitalism without morality. Wal-Mart gets my vote.

3. Todd says:

I don’t have to give Wal-Mart my money. With Haliburton, I have no choice. They get it automatically through the IRS. For me, Haliburton is the clear winner.

4. Rick Dobbs says:

This is starting to turn in to the “immovable object vs. unstoppable force” problem. I’m too immobilized by the quandary to actually vote.

5. airship says:

Ah, but you’re forgetting that your tax dollars go to pay for the health care of Wal-Mart’s poverty-level employees. And Wal-Mart is often given huge property tax incentives to build a store, which you also have to make up with your own taxes. Plus the Walton family makes major political contributions to the GOP, which ultimately results in tons of Wal-Mart friendly legislation. Make no mistake, Wal-Mart is on the ‘corporate welfare’ dole big-time.

6. surfacenoise says:

I thought Haliburton was now a division of the U.S. Government?

7. blakewest says:

I thought the U.S. Government was now a division of Haliburton?