Lone Bullet Empties Airplane

Passengers were removed from an Alaskan Airlines flight after a bullet was found in the cabin.

No guns or other disconcerting objects were found during a subsequent search. Nobody knows how the slug got onboard.

Alaskan Airline spokeswoman Caroline Boren noted that the airline flies many hunters to Alaska, and that from time to time, bullets have fallen out of passengers’ pockets, reported the Chicago Tribune.

You’d think that’d be something the metal detector would pick up. Maybe they were too busy looking for lit fuses coming out of the passengers hiking boots.

Bullet Found on Alaska Airlines Plane [via Chicago Tribune]

Comments

1. Paul D says:

I feel so safe now.

2. Kishi says:

I suppose, depending on the caliber of the bullet, if it was in a handful of change, they could have just put it in the little bowls. Drop it in with a few coins, put your wallet on top of it. I’ve frequently seen them hand it back to you with little attention paid to what’s inside.

3. Rick Dobbs says:

Yet another example of the farce that is TSA.

I’m sure they made sure that an 85 year old guy had to take off his shoes though.

With the amount of flying I’ve done, it’s amazing to me what these guys do in the name of “security.”

4. airship says:

If there is anyone left on earth who honestly believes that anything the government does to supposedly ‘protect’ us actually makes us any safer at all, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

5. People Paula says:

So true. I saw a guy put manicure scissors, a lighter and a pocket knife in the little tray, only to have it all handed back to him at the end of the screening. After 9/11.

6. airship says:

I’d like to see anyone hijack an airplane with manicure scissors, a lighter, and a pocket knife. I’d even let him have the bullet, too. MacGyver couldn’t even do it.
    Personally, I like that old Saturday Night Live sketch where they make everyone getting on the airplane bring an automatic weapon as a deterrent. (This is back in the days of hijackers, not terrorists.)

7. GenXCub says:

Actually, the Mythbusters episode involving explosive decompression was very informative. they used a .45 calibur bullet on windows to see if it did any damage other than the small bullet hole in a pressurized environment, and it did not. It took something dynamite sized (in explosive power) before anything disastrous happened to the plane.