Walgreens Pharmacists Mock You Behind Your Back

How would you like to see this on your bottle of meds?

CrAzY!! She’s really a psycho!!! Do not say her name too loud, never mention her meds by names…

Janey Karp sued Walgreens over the above comments appearing on a patient information sheet attached to her latest bottle of Ambien.

“A person has the right to have whatever medications they’re taking to be private,” she said. “I’m so private that I never talk about my medications and now they’re telling me that I’m psycho, crazy.”

Walgreens apologized profusely and is actively investigating. The notes were first entered in September, 2004. Walgreens’ new prescrption computer system links all 5,122 stores into a one network. Who knows how many have seen and read the deragatory comments…

Or how many other shoppers have slanderous remarks listed on their patient profile.

Woman Sues Walgreens over Insulting Prescription [Sun-Sentinel]

Comments

1. TedSez says:

The issue this woman was originally complaining about — that pharmacy employees would loudly call her name and reference the potentially embarrassing medications she was taking — is extremely common. I’ve gotten my (not-very-interesting allergy) medicine at several different chain drugstores, and pretty much every time I’ve ended up knowing exactly what everyone else in line had beenn prescribed. If I were taking something I didn’t want other people to know about, this utter disregard to customers’ privacy would have upset me too.

2. Benko says:

as inappropriate as that little note may sound, and as offensive as it is, ultimately it was just put there to make their customer service better. it just happened to get exposed to the wrong person. all notes like that do is let other employees know how to deal with a person to make their visit to the place of business that much smoother and easier on everyone.

3. Kishi says:

I’d have to disagree, Benko. The last part- about not saying her name too loud or the medicines- I can take as helping customer service. But saying she’s crazy and a psycho? That’s just the pharmacy worker venting, which doesn’t help at all.

4. AcidReign says:

…..Meta-data will be the death of us all! Thanks, Microsoft! Talking behind the customer’s back is one of life’s simple pleasures, but it shouldn’t get printed on her pill bottle!

…..Where I live, it’s not necessary for the pharmacist to spill the beans. The customers in front of you are only too happy to endlessly vent about their pus-oozing lesions, their mental conditions, their malfunctioning bowels and drippy underpants. Ugh.

5. Ben Popken says:

K. writes:

I had an experience where the pharmacist at Walgreen’s in Madison, WI surprised me sort of mocking the pharmaceutical industry. I asked about mucilex for a chest cold. He told me (exactly what I wanted to hear) that the product is created by a corporation with a lot of money for a very expensive ad campaign and offers a very expensive product that has no data to back up that it works at all. (not in those exact words but that was the point) I was so grateful to for once get a real answer and a very honest one considering his work as a pharmacist. Needless to say, this is now the pharmacy I want to deal with-or he is the pharmacist I want to deal with.

I agree with how inappropriate the pharmacist in the lawsuit was, I also agree with the customer service comment but an insensitive attitude and dis-respect like that is never helpful for anyone- the customers or the co-workers and it clearly brought a sense of shame to this woman so her hurt is understandable.

If you do anything with this, please don’t use my name.

Thanks.

Enjoy your site very much.

6. christy says:

benko, do you think there is no way of describing someone besides “shady” or “bitch”? Surely there is a more diplomatic way of referring to these people. And if not, don’t write it down for chrissakes!