Cut Down on Extraneous Discount Cards

Savvy bro Lifehacker got turned onto a great idea posted at DIY Mods on cutting down on all those extra store discount cards bursting out your purse.

Snip up the cards and paste the bardcodes on one card. Endure odd looks from the clerks and just tell them which barcode to scan. Neat!

Save leftover plastic card shavings to build a thrifty “shopper’s shiv.”

Comments

1. GenXCub says:

Maybe someone can give a heads-up with a horror story here, but I remember back in 2000 when I lived in San Francisco, the Safeways had all set up to just punch in your phone number. In the last couple years here in Vegas, Albertsons and SMiths (kroger) let you punch in your phone number on the keypad instead of swiping a card. I detest carrying those things around. I do for Vons since you can use them at the Vons gas stations for 3 cents off per gallon :) So anyway… any bad things about using the phone # instead of the card?

2. Paul D says:

A friend of mine (and former roommate) signed up for several Kroger discount cards under false names and addresses (“Niel Armstrong at 54321 Blastoff Road”, etc.). Whenever he went grocery shopping, he’d just grab whatever card was handy (he had like a dozen of them). He’d always joke “today’s shopping discount has been brought to you by Edward Van Halen at 5150 Guitar Lane” or whoever’s card he had used that day. He actually knew which card went with which fake name.

3. Sir Winston Thriller says:

The only downside of using your phone number I can see is if you change the phone number, you’ll have to change the info on your card at the Supermarket.

I don’t think idea of having all the barcodes on one page is a good idea. The stores I shop at use the same scanner to read the cards as they do to read the items for purchase. More than one barcode and they error out. After three errors (at least at our Shaws Supermarket), the register locks out and a manager has to do some keyboard stuff with it. Easier to dedicate one keyring to the card tags.

4. Mr. Moto says:

Or just photocopy the bar codes.

5. GenXCub says:

It still amounts to something to carry. The at-counter-authentication seems to be the best for me.

6. mrscolex says:

You can always just do my trick:

Often the same card works for different grocery stores. For instance, Kroger cards work at Food Lion (and even dubiously show up as “Food Lion MVP discount” on the receipt even though it’s a kroger card). Obviously some reverse hackery could determine how the bar codes are set up.

7. Chris H says:

What really needs to happen here is for someone to create a universal card that has dummy-entries for all the major food chains. We could upload it in PDF and disseminate it to all so that we can enjoy those discounts without giving over our personal info.

And BTW, stores have the ability to link your loyalty card to your real identity through your credit/debit card.

8. Bubba Barney says:

That’s why I try and use Cash as much as possible. Less info to track.