No Top 10 Car is American

Consumer Reports released its annual top 10 auto report.

It’s the first time not a single American car company graced the list. The list, reprinted below, is swept away by Japanese autos.

Mainly because American cars suck.

Worldwide backlash, hubris shatters Olympic hopefuls’ dreams and now, no American cars on the top 10 list. It’s Rome all over again, baby.

Comments

1. Paul D says:

For $32,000 for a compact sports sedan, the WRX STi better be freakin’ fun to drive.

Sheesh. I actually considered (for about 2 seconds) getting one of those…until I saw the price.

Now, the Scion tC. That’s a car a man can be proud of.

Surprised the Honda Odyssey beat out the Nissan Quest in the minivan category.

2. Vulcan says:

Of course, it depends on what you mean by “American” car.

There are “Japanese” label vehicles that are more American than the supposedly “American” cars.

What the list shows us is that Detroit is no longer the axle of the automobile universe. It’s the black hole.

3. nweaver says:

The WRX STi is an absolute headbanger’s dream:

300hp turbo 4-banger + AWD. Thats 45 more hp and -350 lbs when compared with a 330xi BMW.

(Although me, I’d get the less power of the TR WRX and have fun. :)

the tC is such a gas guzzler for what it offers. I’d rather have a Civic SI.

The quest is just “funky” looking, the Odyssey has been refined to the point of utter blandness, err, perfection for a Minivan.

4. CTSLICK says:

Paul D: $32k for a WRX STi is pretty steep but dammmmnnn its fast. Surprised the Evo didn’t steal that category though. If the WRX STi is too spendy you should strip off three letters and just get a plain ol’ WRX for around $25k. Sure its not 300HP but 230HP certainly does a good job motivating that car down the road. I’ve got an ’02…its a blast to drive.

5. OkiMike says:

Didst mine ears deceive me? $32,000? Expensive? Are you flipping burgers for a living???

Let me be the (apparently) first to welcome you to the 21st century.

6. Amy Alkon says:

Detroit has had 30-plus years (since the gas crisis in the 70s) to come up with a well-designed, fuel-efficient car that doesn’t blacken the air. Hellooo? Anybody home? Apparently not, so I bought a Honda Insight, a darling Tom Swift-ian hybrid that gets 66 or 67 mpg on the highway. The missing design element on it in my experience is the little plastic string attaching the gas cap to the little door for the tank. I get gas so seldom, I get a little rusty at it, and have twice left the gas cap on top of my car. When I went to the dealership to get a replacement, the parts guy told me it’s the only money he ever makes on the Insight — selling replacement gas caps. True? Who knows. But, if you want headache-free driving, Honda and Toyota seem like pretty good bets.

7. Paul D says:

Pardon me, Richie Richerson.

Yes, $32k is an expensive car by almost any measure. Especially when you can get a really great car for around $20k.

I make pretty good money, but if I ever catch myself buying $32k worth of car that I don’t need, just because “I can afford it”, I’ll kick my own ass.

8. nweaver says:

You can get a very VERY nice car for $20k (eg, Civic Si).

You can’t get a sportscar of the caliber of the WRX STi without spending $35-50k and beyond. Its not quite Elise class power/weight, but its damn close, and with AWD.

And if you’re cheap, get the TR WRX, its $23k, 230hp. Or the WRX normal for ~$25k. Also amazing budget hoonmobiles.

9. sanloublues says:

It doesn’t matter where cars are from anymore. Unless you buy from somebody like Panoz, your car is coming from all over. The parts, the designs, everything. Dodge is German, Nissans are designed in cali, GM and Toyata have shared designs for ages, and Ford cars are Volvos on the inside now. The only question is where the execs live, which matters about as much as trickle-down economics.

That said, these people haven’t tried a Caterham for the fun-to-drive category. $25k for an insane-mobile that can keep up with a viper. I’ve driven one once and will own one eventually.

10. CTSLICK says:

sanloublues: Caterham…nnnice…but wait, what’s this! Dang it, the steering wheel is on the wrong side. CSR Model=sub 4 second 0-60, almost enough to make me learn how to shift with my left hand.

11. drsmith says:

I think the problem here is Consumer Reports. Their recommendation on the 2006 Mustang is that it’s entirely unreliable. Why? Apparently the only bad mark for the vehicle is for the body(which they don’t explain at all). So a bad body makes the car unrelable? Doesn’t make sense.

When I think reliability, I’m not worried about having all of the paint suddenly fall off while I’m driving down the road. I’m more worried about the engine suddenly refusing to run. Even then, Ford gives you free roadside assistance for the first 36k miles/3 years as part of the warranty.

My conclusion is that CR is a very poor source of recommendations for car buying. YMMV.

12. airship says:

I’m 6’2″, and let us say ‘big boned’, and the Japanese just don’t make a car that fits a ‘healthy’ American. I never have enough headroom or ‘steering wheel room’, if you catch my drift. What the hell do Sumo wrestlers drive over there?
    It’s good old American-designed cars for me, even if most of them are made and assembled elsewhere.

13. CTSLICK says:

I stand (well, actually I am sitting) corrected, you can indeed get a left hand drive Caterham in the US of A.

Kinda spendy on thise side of the pond though.

14. Juancho says:

Sorry, $32k is a lot of bread for the average American, who’s often in hock just to make his payments. Why do you think leasing is such a sucker’s game?

Funny, I’ve heard the new Mustang is a decent car. I would agree that CR is very dodgy on car ratings, because they really don’t reference how they reached a decision.

15. AcidReign says:

…..I was soured on the American big three by growing up in the ’60s and 70′s and watching how much my folks spent on car repairs. My father was METICULOUS about maintaining his cars, and yet you could COUNT on a $300-$500 repair (transmission, alternator, air conditioning compressor, master brake cyl., etc.) every single year owning one of those cars. Worse if you got stuck with a lemon!(1981 Buick Century, for example.)

…..To me, $32,000 is high for a car that won’t go at least 140 MPH. I bought a 2001 Mazda Protege in 2004 for less than $10k. It has yet to be in the shop, gets great mileage, and gets me where I want to go in comfort. The only problem I’ve had was when my Def Leppard: Pyromania CD blew the factory speakers out. But I’ve been known to abuse the volume control…

16. kurtdaniel says:

for a very long time that american cars have lead the industry, its hard to believe that this news would even appear..well they may have been outperformed but i still have high respect for them specially ford parts info..